Hosting for new forum

Pride1760

Hi,

I would like to start a new forum. I don't think there will ever be more than 1,000 members. Keeping that in mind, which host and plan do you recommend?

I thought shared hosting would be fine but hostgator said that Xenforo will require minimum VPS level 3 even for a new forum.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

which host do you recommend? Hostgator said they don't allow custom installations on shared hosting and it won't meet the resource requirements either for Xenforo. So they suggested to go for VPS level 3.

This will be my first website so I am not familiar with this stuff at all.

Thanks!

speedysparrow plans look good...thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it.

James, thanks for your offer but I really don't want to trouble you.

I don't want to spend more than $15 per month in the initial stages...

wow...fanaticalvps.com looks too good to be true :p

I contacted hostgator twice and this is the response I got:

Response 1.
Hello,

I would recommend a VPS package ( at least a level 3 ), a baby package may be able to handle the basic XenForo setup, however you will defiantly run into issues with add-ons and more users on a baby plan.

Response 2
Hello,

You can install Xenforo application on your hosting if you buy the VPS Plan Level 3 and above. Only then all the requirements will be fulfilled in your VPS Server. Shared hosting will not support the 3rd party script as per the dedicated requirements.

I had sent them these requirements:
XenForo System Requirements

• PHP: 5.2.4+
  • MySQL: 5.0+
  • PHP extensions: MySQLi, GD (with JPEG support), PCRE, SPL, SimpleXML, DOM, JSON, iconv, ctype
  • PHP safe_mode off
I'm going to find out more about fanaticalvps and speedysparrow...they seem pretty nice.

Thanks everyone!

Hi,

I would like to start a new forum. I don't think there will ever be more than 1,000 members. Keeping that in mind, which host and plan do you recommend?

I thought shared hosting would be fine but hostgator said that Xenforo will require minimum VPS level 3 even for a new forum.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Hostgator was just attempting to make a sale. Their sales assistants tend to do it a lot.

they were trying to push the vps packages :(

when I pressed further, they said that xenforo will work with shared hosting, but I will face problems when the forum size increases...(isn't that obvious?)

they were trying to push the vps packages :(

when I pressed further, they said that xenforo will work with shared hosting, but I will face problems when the forum size increases...(isn't that obvious?)
When we were on HG shared: I could ask the exact same question to 7 different people - and got 7 completely different answers... that is my pet peeve with them (there are a few others too).

Though the hosting was 'ok' - it went down too often for my taste, but it usually started running again within 10 minutes.

Top Bottom