Host complaining of spam from my website

TerranTitan

arvixe spam.webp

I've edited out some of my info for obvious reasons. I get these emails at least 2-3x a week. They keep telling me to make sure the software (xenforo) is legit and up to date, and that my plugins are the official kind (noted - tiagachat - [bd] widget framework) ect, ect.

I suspect it has something to do with the alerts on the forum. These emails they send me all have been alerts I've seen, replies to forum posts, ect. I've taken the measure of having all my users disable their forum announcements. Trying to see if that may help.

Any ideas?

if they are similar to the above - and they brag on being a XenForo special hosting forum - then they should know what those are. They are alerts/notification emails that the forum sends out to users that select that option. They probably aren't used to having a forum that makes full use of those features and is popular (or they would have realized what they are and had mitigation processes in place instead of referring to it as spam).

An alternative is to use a third party remailer (like Mandrill).. but if you aren't exceeding your hosts outbound per hour allowance I'd ask them to fix their monitoring software (or better train their Server Betterment Team members to recognize spam).

Arvixe are famous for this sort of thing. They sell you a acre at a yard price, promise to specialize in this and that and throw a lame excuse at you to cut you the second you start to use any sort of resources they can no longer massive oversell. Sorry this happened to you. That is why you really get what you pay for in most cases in the hosting industry, if it's too good to be true.. It is.

With cutting off your outbound mail, I'd assume your now seeking a new host, I offer custom suited hosting packages we can discuss via PM or I would also recommend to you urljet.com or nimbushosting.co.uk as other quality options.

I confronted Arvixe support with the fact that they supposedly are a "xenforo host" and they should know about these things. Here's their answer.

Hello,

We are aware of the notification emails sent from the xenforo software.

We have checked and found that there are no more suspicious email activity going on from your account.

Please get back to us if you need any further assistance.

If they were "aware" of it the message never would have been sent out in the first place. I imaging they monitor the number of sent messages and once they exceed a certain amount in a certain time period it sends up a flag.
My point was the very message they used should have told their personnel it wasn't spam.

I confronted Arvixe support with the fact that they supposedly are a "xenforo host" and they should know about these things. Here's their answer.

Hello,

We are aware of the notification emails sent from the xenforo software.

We have checked and found that there are no more suspicious email activity going on from your account.

Please get back to us if you need any further assistance.

LOL! :D Stop sending those suspicious thread replies now!

Is this a shared hosting account? I have a shared hosting account with them, so far no problems. Like someone said earlier you get what you pay for and what you expect for little over two bucks a month? lol Good for just getting started out on. The way I look at it, why would anyone want to pay a lot in hosting or get a VPS on a new forum or a forum that has absolutely no traffic? That doesn't seem too smart. So since I know absolutely nothing about forums, installing software, etc, I thought to get me up and running, and a free Xenforo install, a a free domain for life, at $2.60 a month on hosting was a steal. I might live to regret that later on though :cool:, lol.. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I pay I think $6 a month for business class and on a shared server. I never saw the free xenforo install, but then again it was easy to do..

Yeah, they installed it for me twice actually for free, I accidentally deleted it messing around with the FTP not knowing what I was doing. Serves my purpose on a startup, practice site. I'm actually thinking about using their VPS on some other forums. Glad you got your email stuff squared away.

Oh, I thought you got it straightened out when you posted the email they sent you about no further spam emails. So you can't send emails now?

Top Bottom