Hope none of our members are near the gas explosion in CA

Elizabeth

Update-1 Four dead in San Francisco suburb gas line inferno

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:48pm EDT

* 38 homes destroyed, number of dead expected to rise

* Gas line belongs to utility PG&E; shares down 6 pct

* Cause yet to be determined

* PG&E investigating reports of gas smell prior to blast (Adds quotes from PG&E president and eyewitness, share price, previous SAN FRANCISCO)

All those people need our thoughts and prayers. 

Liz 

Its been all over the news here in california. Every channel has it live.

I live in the peninsula - the san mateo county - where san bruno resides. But I do not live there or near san bruno.

I feel bad for those people who lost homes there. This is going to impact PG&E a lot because this is 2 times worse than the BP spill - I mean, 38 homes are gone according to the article, I expect that to grow given the scale of the fires.

From what I am understanding, the implications of this explosion is nationwide. Apparently the gasline that exploded may have just been so old, it corroded. While the majority of natural gas pipes are plastic, about 60 percent of the nation’s 475,000 miles of larger gas mains — those wider than 16 inches in diameter — are steel, according to the Natural Gas Supply Association. That’s because steel pipes can better withstand the pressurization used to move gas efficiently through large pipes.

That's way more than what people are wanting to hear right now. Apparently this one isn't the first time this has happened, just one of the biggest ones.

Liz 

That's way more than what people are wanting to hear right now. Apparently this one isn't the first time this has happened, just one of the biggest ones.
I'm afraid there's more bad news about PG&E - so don't take the "that's more than what people want to hear." seriously - because PG&E knew full well about that there was a problem with the pipline before the explosion. And did nothing. I heard it was on CNN.

I'm afraid there's more bad news about PG&E - so don't take the "that's more than what people want to hear." seriously - because PG&E knew full well about that there was a problem with the pipline before the explosion. And did nothing. I heard it was on CNN.
What I meant was, it's not just PG&E but companies all across the US. Like one in Irving, TX in January 2010, or Bellevue, WA...neither of those owned by PG&E. 
Liz 

The media loves to stir things up, sometimes out of proportion. That sells advertising.

I am in the general area, not too close though. I certainly would change my travel plans accordingly if I intended to drive to the airport by choosing which roads to use carefully.

I have see it on TV her in switzerland only.
The spokesman sad "Peoples has smoke gas days before"
Why has the official of the community not response to avoid any complication? I can't understand it. :mad:

He's referring to the fact that people have smelled the smoke emitting from the gas tank. As I said before PG&E knew full well something was wrong...and did NOTHING.

Employees there know full well they can't smoke nearby that gas tank, I doubt they'd risk their job on the line. These are hard economic times.

When the news reports say that people 'smelled' natural gas aroma days before, that usually means people noticed the smell, did nothing about it such as reporting it to PG&E, but told the press afterwords.

If PG&E stated they had an official complaint about it, I missed that in the news.

Top Bottom