1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home NAS suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wired, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Wired

Wired Active Member

Looking for a home NAS for a couple TB of space (preferably with lots of redundancy). I'm definitely looking for 4+ HDD capacity. Partially for RAID 5 and more redundancy, also for more storage.

Initially looking between the new Synology DS411+ and DS1511+, but a friend recommended QNAP, so I pulled up some random models around the same price (TS-509 PRO, TS-459, and TS-559 Pro+) - NewEgg Comparison Link

Also glanced at the Synology DS411j and DS410, but I'm not sure if one's an older model, or what the j stands for. I like ReadyNAS products as well, but when they got bought out by Netgear the prices skyrocketed. Not cool.

Features I'd like:
    to be able to add HDDs at will (hot swappable would be nice as well)
    Being able to host a web site (I think both Synology and QNAP do this)
    DLNA support
    Awesome that both Synology and QNAP products can provide storage for virtualization servers. That's really tempting, but I may or may not run VMs at home. It'd be nice, but I could always do that on local storage. In fact that may be preferred if I get some SSDs.

Not deal breakers:
    bit torrent / NZB client built in (Synology only I believe)

So, does anyone have a preference between the two or any experiences / reviews they'd like to share, or other make / models they'd recommend?

2. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

If you don't need the small size of a NAS may I throw an alternative in?

Why not build it yourself? It's pretty easy and this way you are free to use as many HDDs as you like. I'm currently using a 6 TB RAID 5 setup with 1.5 TB HDDs and will upgrade it to 3 TB HDDs as soon as the price is right.

3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

4. Wired

Wired Active Member

Looking for a prebuilt solution so I can save space and throw it into a corner, or right under an AP.

5. Toxic

Toxic Member

Synology are great NAS's but locked down to a degree, whereas the QNAP allows so much more hands on experience in adding applications you want.

6. -GR-

-GR- Well-Known Member

I just built my own NAS/Media server. Couldn't have been happier with my decision either.

I think in all total including the hard drives I have around $700 in it. I could have built it a lot cheaper if I was only doing the NAS part but I also do distributed computing projects so I wanted a quad core. I used an Intel Xeon E3-1230 and a Asus P8B, 8gb gskill ddr3 and (4) 1.5tb 7200 rpm hitachi hard drives in a raid 10 array.

If you are mainly looking for just NAS you could cut the costs considerably and also run FreeNAS.

7. -GR-

-GR- Well-Known Member

I also wanted to add, I have rsync setup and it syncs the home directories on the webserver every night and I also sync all of the mysql databases as well from the webserver.

8. Riven

Riven Member

I just bought DS1511+, Put 5x2T WD green drive, quiet and fast, Very happy with it.

9. Reeve of Shinra

Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

Built my own using Windows Home Server. I love it!

10. Wired

Wired Active Member

Totally forgot about this thread lol! Bought a Synology DS1511+ months ago. Works great. Locked down how?