High court strikes down California video game ban

And actually, there was a new recent report that playing violent video games tends to make an individual less likely to actually commit violent acts, mainly because they vent such frustration in the game and loosen some of that energy out, and by the time they finish playing they don't carry that frustration/anger with them.

I know when I get mad at things I lose myself in games and I relax.
For normal people at least.

There is another study that people who are unbalanced tend to get more violent when playing video games as they're not capable of differentiating real life and games.

There is another study that people who are unbalanced tend to get more violent when playing video games as they're not capable of differentiating real life and games.

:cautious: I'm not like that at all. I don't throw my controllers when the computer cheats or put my fists through the console when I lose a match. Not at all... :D

Well yes, but that's people who are unbalanced–there's also a slew of other things at could trigger people who are unbalanced to do a variety of things.

The 2 supreme court judges who voted for the ban need to step down.
I think a minority dissent is a good thing, nothing is totally black and white.

Ah yes, by all means; lets tailor our laws to the least common denominator. There must be extremely compelling reasons to restrict, in ANY way, those rights guaranteed by the constitution. And those rights are supposed to be interpreted in the broadest possible way.

I think a minority dissent is a good thing, nothing is totally black and white.

Ah yes, by all means; lets tailor our laws to the least common denominator. There must be extremely compelling reasons to restrict, in ANY way, those rights guaranteed by the constitution. And those rights are supposed to be interpreted in the broadest possible way.
I was in no way advocating the law; I honestly have thought it was ridiculous since the parents started lobbying for it (I use to work for Activision).

I was just stating there is also conflicting studies to what he stated.

I was in no way advocating the law; I honestly have thought it was ridiculous since the parents started lobbying for it (I use to work for Activision).

I was just stating there is also conflicting studies to what he stated.

Sorry, I was rebutting the conclusions that some might reach from such a study, not you. Sorry that it did sound aimed at you.

Seems that constitutional right gets a little murky when it comes to minors though. We don't extend the right to carry a gun to minors. So society does protect it's children from perceived harm, the constitution not withstanding. Guess it really comes down to: "is it based on good science" and is it compelling to make such a restriction.

Parents need to do their own damn job of parenting!

Good for the supreme court for shutting down this shenanigans!

Seems that constitutional right gets a little murky when it comes to minors though. We don't extend the right to carry a gun to minors. So society does protect it's children from perceived harm, the constitution not withstanding. Guess it really comes down to: "is it based on good science" and is it compelling to make such a restriction.

Actually in my state if you are with a legal adult who can legally carry, you can hunt and carry your own arms as a child with no more than one firearm.

C.G.S.A. § 26-38

Minors 12 to 16 may hunt with a licensed adult, provided they have a junior license and are not carrying more than one weapon. No more than two minors may hunt with a single adult.
http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/...umHuntingAgeStatutes/tabid/13243/Default.aspx

I was gifted my first firearm at 6 years old. My father trusted raising me in his image would keep me making good decisions. In fact...because I attained my first tagged kill at 12(I still have my old tags:)) I have a respect for a gun and the power it has with just the flick of a small muscle group. Understanding why guns are dangerous if wielded improperly was an instant revelation after field stripping my first hunt.

In respect to guns being in games....anyone who raises their child to understand the difference between a game and reality has nothing to worry about supposing their child is of all their faculties. I would seriously hope people raise their children better than to believe you hail a cab the way you do in Grand Theft Auto. If parents individually think shielding their child from violence in games is going to help then by all means do so....I just don't think anyone outside their circle should have a say in it... whether it's parents who are pro or against game bans.

Actually in my state if you are with a legal adult who can legally carry, you can hunt and carry your own arms as a child with no more than one firearm.
And those are the kind of limitations that do not apply to an adult citizen. I can walk down the street with two side arms in plain site without any sort of permit. Clearly a minor cannot. So states can (and do) limit even constitutional rights of minors.

And those are the kind of limitations that do not apply to an adult citizen. I can walk down the street with two side arms in plain site without any sort of permit. Clearly a minor cannot.
Very true...these limitations make your parent or gaurdian responsible to choose if your mature enough to make the choice to play a game or not and handle yourself if you are indeed a minor. It is also the same with a firearm.

As far as the sidearm...in my state a private citizen cannot carry a weapon in plain site ...concealed only...in fact your told when pulled over to not mention having one if pulled over in traffic and only offer to supply your weapons permit if the situation need be. This of course only applies to pistols. You can turn 18 and go buy a rifle or shotgun and as long as it's not loaded you can transport it in your passenger compartment of your vehicle. Clearly you have more freedom than the citizens of my state in regards to short barrel arms.

This makes me think of this....if kids want to rent games that are above their rating requirements...why not just require some kind of custodial consent on the child's rental account. No permissions from the folks...no rental. I think that is a fair compromise. I can see someone suing a rental spot for their kid commiting a crime and correlating it to the game they rented the child so I can't really be anything but on the fence with this one. I do firmly believe however a video game is NOT the cause of kids acting up but I also believe there is SOME kids who don't need any endorsement of anything but positive life choice reconstructive training...then again there is just a lot of badass kids who need a slap upside the head.

Yes, we have no restrictions on "open carry" out here in the wild west! Now, that doesn't mean you won't get some strange looks! And calls to 911! We even have "open carry" events.!

Top Bottom