Hey, they are calling us "outdated."

l3ta

While doing a Google search for XF, I stumbled upon and add for another forum software calling XF "Outdated.

How dare they?! :mad:

Last edited:
I didn't think a competitor could keyword bid on another competitor's mark... only generic terms.

Not seeing the ad on my end, but it's definitely not outdated unless you have a definition for that which would make it outdated nor complex (unless you get into development, then pretty much everything is).

I didn't think a competitor could keyword bid on another competitor's mark... only generic terms.

They certainly can. It's why a lot of companies bid on their own company name in Google Search results.

Seems mad, but they do it to prevent competitors trying to siphon off potential customers this way.

See this search for the chat and crm app Intercom.

They're bidding on their keword, but so is Zendesk and FrontApp, and all 3 ads show up before the organic top result for the official intercom site.

FrontApp even have a custom landing page and URL trying to claim it's better than intercom

1594554884633.webp

They certainly can. It's why a lot of companies bid on their own company name in Google Search results.
I know keyword bidding on your own mark is accepted, no doubt, but it appears unfair sniping to bid higher for, say XF, than XF would pay and a competitor ranking above them. I'll have to revisit AdWords policy on this, but, I know generic terms ("forum software", etc.) is acceptable and they might group them into one as they're relatively the "same" product while giving the highest bidder the top slot, taking into consideration the CTR as a higher CTR, even on a low bid, may outperform a higher bid.

Say I owned a bottling company in direct competition to Coca-Cola with a pleasing alternative that many customers may enjoy over traditional Cola that is cheaper. Then, go all out on marketing and bid beyond the high of $0.53 CPC. It appears like I would get #1 above Coca-Cola, forcing them to bid even higher. It resembles a gorilla-like "SERP" (ad positioning) tactic (though this is an extreme example as Coca-Cola could very well just 2x, 3x, 5x the CPC and not lose, unless the product I whipped up did taste better and have raved reviews, etc.).

Yep, a lot of people aren't happy about the fact that this is possible and that you have to pay to stay at the top of the search results for your brand if someone else is bidding on it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yep, a lot of people aren't happy about the fact that this is possible and that you have to pay to stay at the top of the search results for your brand if someone else is bidding on it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Whatever lines the pockets of Google while kicking smaller businesses in the teeth and allowing multi-million marketing budgets to supersede all products with trademarks because they bid too low.

Imagine XF paying and X forum software doubling up when someone searches "Xenforo". It just doesn't seem fair.

This goes for domains, too. I can't register XenForoForum and then redirect it to X forum software. The same principle (or law) behind that should carry over. No competitor should be able to bid on a keyword in direct competition.

That's why I have started a defund Google campain
Their practices are evil. (defunding Youtube channels)
We need to get epople to use DuckDuckgo and Bing
My forum is on page 7 with Google, but its on the top of page 1 with the other two.

Top Bottom