Helpful Forum Configurations

Elwood

Hi all. Just bought XF 2, so I am a new user here. Also new to running a forum.

I have a question for the experienced forum admins out there. I hope this question makes sense.

Are there any forum admin options that you find important or helpful to switch on or off that you didn’t know about when you first purchased XF.

Thank you!

Welcome!

One undocumented admin line that I like goes in the config.php file (in the src folder)

$config['adminColorHueShift'] = 55;

You can put whatever color code you wish there, and it will change the color of the admin panels. 55 is purple, for example.

I have more than one Xenforo, as well as test installs, and it makes it a bit more idiot proof when I use different colors for each setup. I know right away which one it is, by the bg color.

Decide on a link structure and stay on it!
Avoid permanently deleting posts and threads during moderation as this would prevent unrecoverable accidents.
Decide how you want to use tags (or not use it at all) and make sure you do not let this feature get abused. Most people don't use tags properly so you would end up with thousands of useless tags.
These are some things that come to mind at the moment...
What color scheme is this? I mean if I want to use gray... How do I find out what number to use 🤔! Thanks.

Last edited:
One undocumented admin line that I like goes in the config.php file (in the src folder)

Honestly, I wouldn't consider the config switch as a necessity for a regular site - it's more for test and dev installations.

As for the OP, My advice would be to go through every single setting in the options and features and set them up as you require.
There is no right or wrong - it's whatever works for you.

Have a read through the various guides for some ideas and tips.

So this is your first tip for an all new admin ?
Just out of curiosity, what would be your second advice??

-Use full friendly URL's on

-Creating and installing a FAVICON and other related images to set up your PWA

-Some kind of daily or twice daily automated backup routine that gets the data off site from the host (SQL db, and general files too)

-Leaving HOME PAGE URL field blank, to get rid of the redundant "HOME" button on top left of navigation

-Playing with screen width, logos, maybe add a third party banner system if you wish to sell banners or use it for holiday art (we use Siropu)

-Finding some reliable add-ons to add the features you may want that arent part of the basic package. XF2 has a great selection that has about 300 included for $35 per year. I use about a dozen of those on my forums, and some from other authors as well.

-Going through EVERY option to see what it does, and consulting the documentation

-Setting your email server up correctly with spf, dmarc, dkim, encryption, etc so you have excellent mail deliverability. There are free tools to score it, too. Set up accounts with the various providers integrated with the software to get API keys, so the forum will automated much of the screening of new folks.

Welcome!!!!

Top Bottom