Help choosing replacement server

oldford

I've been on the same dedicated server for years and my host is upgrading my machine. They are offering two choices; dedicated or cloud. Price is the same.

I'm curious which route you would suggest. I'm just not very clear on the pros and cons of a dedicated server vs a cloud server (VPS I assume).

Dedicated option:
CPU: Core i9 9900K ( 8 Cores, 16 Threads)
Mem: 32GB DDR4 RAM
Drive: 2x 1TB NVMe SSD in Software Raid1
Bandwidth: 10 TB per month
16 IP addresses

Cloud option:
CPU: AMD EPYC ( 16 Cores )
Mem: 32GB Ram
Drive: 360GB NVMe SSD
Bandwidth: 20TB per month
1 IP address

For comparison, my current dedicated server is:
Dual Intel Xeon CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz
Mem: 32GB Ram
Drive: 2x 600GB 15K SAS Drives in Raid1

The cloud option has a smaller HD and I'm currently using 230 GB, so I'd probably want more room to grow if I go with the cloud option.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Who is your host ?

The cloud option may be ok (you can get a dedicated cloud from some hosts) but if its a VPS and you have a lot of activity it may not be as good a choice as a dedicated - Depends on the VPS but generally a dedicated is just that and you have all resources.

I went cloud a couple years ago. Found ways to support the same traffic by merely making adjustments and distributing the load, saved a lot of money and improved response times. The catch with Cloud is to be aware of potential drawbacks like lack of LAN-Port security, no DDOS protectionin their own infrastructure, and potential Kernel-change limitations. There isn't a wrong scenario, just have a plan for the gaps in your favored Cloud Service.

The "cores" for the VM are actually equivalent to a "thread" for a dedicated machine, but with the wonderful "noisy neighbour" problem being an option.

Unless your site is serving a lot of media, the bandwidth will be nothing to care about.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I run multiple sites on my server, not just XF forums. So the XF Cloud option really doesn't make sense for me. I don't want the hassle of splitting my sites up between servers.

Top Bottom