Have I mentioned how excited I am about having jQuery as a major part of the forum system?

Tigratrus

Seriously, jQuery + a fully CSS based page layout? As an alternative to vB 4?!

This must be a dream... Or maybe the mushrooms on that Pizza was a tad to mellow ;).

jQuery ROCKS! Great synergy with CSS... Very psyched to get my hands on XF and really see what Susan (who's pretty good self taught CSS wrangler) and I can do! BRING IT ON! :)

Heh. Susan's my wife, she does most of the blog writing and CSS/Design work on our site. I'm the technoweenie, responsible for the server and most of the PhP tweaks, code repurposing etc. I normally have "James and Susan" as my signature on most sites as both of us tend to share an account on web dev type sites. It's kind of an inside joke :). I've wanted to use jQuery on our site for about 2 years, but the existing conflicts with the Prototype framework in vB and Mootools in J! made throwing another framework into the mix a BAD IDEA. :)

Yeah, I've worked with jQuery in the past and I'm really excited to think of what I can do with it in combination with the XF framework/plugin system.

I sense long[er] hours in front of the computer in my future. :cool:

http://jquery.com/
jQuery is a javascript framework, it provides a library of functions/capability that "simplifies HTML document traversing, event handling, animating, and Ajax interactions for rapid web development".

What makes jQuery esp cool is that it's very compact and quite similar in usage to CSS. One of my favorite things is that you can use it to add/change things on a page via jQuery interaction with the DOM without having to do *anything* to the underlying html/templates. jQuery + CSS is a dream toolset for making layout changes. If you can see what you want to do in Firebug, you can generally make it happen :).

It's been a while since I've been able to use jQuery much given the Prototype and MooTools conflicts, but that's what I remember ;).

/me moo's

just kidding, I <3 jquery - specially image effects

I'm suddenly in the mood for a burger... ;)

I just realized, if developers are smart, they can make near-perfect integrated add-ons using jQuery and XF. Although I also realize we're going to see some add-ons that over due it, but that's the nature of the beast.

I am glad that XF has been built using jQuery. I have always deterred from using jQuery in my projects unless it is going to be worth implementing a complete library for a couple of lines of code (Why would I bother implementing jQuery just to use something like animate()?), but because XF makes good use of jQuery I can now use it knowing I'm not causing any bloat to my forum :D awesome!

The addition of true cross platform mobile functionality to the jQuery library is going to mean mobile style/theme development for XF is going to be awesome. I'm thinking that may have just put an end to the XF mobile app vs mobile theme/style question. :)

The mobile style will be a LOT easier to maintain, and now it'll be a build once deploy to ALL the major mobile platforms. How much of a no-brainer is that?! And based on the elements/designs they present on the jQuery mobile site, it'll look awesome too.

Icing on the cake! ;)

Top Bottom