Has anyone used Dreamhost?

Taylor J

I'm thinking about getting back into making and running sites and forums and was wondering if anybody has ever used Dreamhost for their vps solutions?

If not then who would you suggest?

I've used the free non-profit hosting by them for a little while. For my personal websites, Knownhost.

Yep. Then I ran a mile to make sure I never used them again.

Budget shared hosts are terrible. Not a single one of them is 'good' enough anymore IMO. Having been in the hosting industry myself, it becomes very clear that shared hosting is a terrible idea if you care about your websites.

These days I stick to virtual machines from the likes of Linode and Digital Ocean. It's way more reliable than shared hosting, and you've got none of the downsides. Plus price wise they're getting very close!

Yep. Then I ran a mile to make sure I never used them again.

Budget shared hosts are terrible. Not a single one of them is 'good' enough anymore IMO. Having been in the hosting industry myself, it becomes very clear that shared hosting is a terrible idea if you care about your websites.

These days I stick to virtual machines from the likes of Linode and Digital Ocean. It's way more reliable than shared hosting, and you've got none of the downsides. Plus price wise they're getting very close!
I was looking at them for their VPS options.

I already have a droplet on digital ocean running because I have $10 in credit with them but I am not really interested in learning how to manage my own server at the moment. I'm one of those guys that likes a managed service that comes with cpanel/whm lol.

Ah in that case I'd personally recommend FutureHosting - been with them for years for a couple of VPS servers that I didn't want the job of maintaining.

I think I pay about $25 a month for a cPanel/WHM managed VPS. They upgraded us last year for free to a 50 GB SSD account with 4GB ram as they were phasing out the old hardware.

They usually have offers on the WebHostingTalk offers section, and they've got a ton of good reviews over there. They do also offer an automated backup service, although I ended up going with CodeGuard as it's only about $2 a month.

Whoever you pick, with a VPS just make sure to check the reviews. There are a lot of major oversellers. In some situations it's fine if theres a big company backing it that know what they are doing. But there's too many Mickey Mouse operations with VPS hosting these days.

I am a current Dreamhost VPS user. The forum runs pretty reliably and I think the pricing is reasonable.

Issues I've had:
  1. There's an hourly cap on outgoing SMTP emails of 100 that they won't raise even for VPS users like me; this is suspected to have resulted in some users missing notifications. I think this is a huge pain.
I guess that's about it so far. I've used them for a about a year and a half after fleeing from Startlogic.

I think I might actually go with Futurehosting, don't really like Dreamhost's control panel after looking into it. Thanks for all the advice!

Top Bottom