XF 2.1 Has anyone made Xenforo look like a social site yet?

drastic

I'd like to have a setup that mimics the look/feel of Twitter/Facebook, so newcomers are familiar with the site and can figure it out.

I think it's possible if you skin/style the threads and give it a general timeline/newsfeed homepage, rather than a listing of forums/threads.

We already have the ability to do a quick post and tons of features for posting - it's just that the forum "look" is so outdated, that so many of the newer users are not figuring it out, or don't have the attention span to do so.

Xenforo software in general is just so damn good that I don't want to try any of the actual social scripts that already exist, and those I did try, like PhpFox, are just absolutely worthless.

It's a big task, but if anyone wants to chat about doing a custom style like this, I'd be listening for sure!

No one has commented or like my new layout as on post 34
Which goes some way to what you are talking about
I think that is confusing. I find that most members login directly to new posts anyway. Anyone going to forum list will want to see the forum list not scroll down 40 posts to get there.

I made a major change to my forum's layout a few days ago

I put the New Threads Widget (with 40 new threads) rigth at the top of the page and above all the ofum noade.

Now, when members log on they see activity rather than static Forum Categories

So far most of my members are liking it.

What do you think?
No one has commented or like my new layout as on post 34
Which goes some way to what you are talking about
First, your site is very slow and I experience 6 second page loads.

Second, since you are looking for comments, I find that setup frustrating and unintuitive as well as exhausting.

First, your site is very slow and I experience 6 second page loads.

Second, since you are looking for comments, I find that setup frustrating and unintuitive as well as exhausting.
Thanks for the feedback
That long delay is a worry.
I am in new Zealand, and my site is hosted in Singapore. (for personal reasons)
Although I would agree that my fourm is nto ligheng fats.
For most of our members it is not that slow.
Maybe 1 or 2 seconds.

I think that is confusing. I find that most members login directly to new posts anyway. Anyone going to forum list will want to see the forum list not scroll down 40 posts to get there.
Thanks for the feedback
I have been wathcing feedback on other forums (TAZ) about forums dying and one of the reasons is the old style static layout.
So I made those changes to show that my forum has lots of new and active topics.

Its only a long swipe on mobile or a few PgnDns on desktop to get to the category list. I also hope to add a button to take members to the category list (once I find out hwo to do it)

(So a few of my members have tddl me they don't like the new layout, more than that have said they like it, most have not commentsed at al)

Its only a trial, and I can easliy put it back how it was)

I wanted to get away from the Traditional forum formnat of having a welcome thread.
Then admin and rules etc etc
Then say how you found us
Happy birthday
Then a General category.
In my humble opinion, people do not have time for all that stuff nowadays.

So take my members right to the latest posts
And if they want to go to a favourite category eg cars or recipies its only a quick operation

Also by showing the latest posts (in my setup - 40) members may aslo see topics or threads they might not have seen before. (Some have told me that)

Last edited:
That long delay is a worry.
I am in new Zealand, and my site is hosted in Singapore. (for personal reasons)
That may have some to do with it... but it seems like your hosting provider has either got you on a slow/overloaded setup or their pipeline is constrained. I'm leaning more towards the first... as the time to first paint (time for first images/text to display on screen) is 2.2 seconds... that's rather long. You only have 3 small images in your header... should not take them that long to display, much less XF rendering the text.

Also, not crazy about your "home" page (main page) opening the forum up in another tab. You should simply be opening it up in the same tab, as most users won't want to keep your basic home page open as they can go back to it.
In addition... why don't you land them on the "home" page by default that has a widget that shows the new posts, and leave the Forum tab for just what it is... a listing of forums. Visiting for the first time, it was not immediately apparent that you had to scroll down a bit to find the forum list.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
I am not very much u on the technicla side of thingss.
When you say 2.2 seconds - is that you counting or is there way of measuring it.
For me from the time I click on my forum icon on my desktop to the page loading it seems about 1 and a bit seconds - counting manually.

From time to time some of my members compalin that it is slow, and then it seems to come right.

I would nto be suprised that my web host has me on a go slow, as I have several times found they cut back on some of my resocuces, and yet I am paying top dollar.

I think they are used to hosting word press sites with not so much traffic..

Also, not crazy about your "home" page (main page) opening the forum up in another tab. You should simply be opening it up in the same tab, as most users won't want to keep your basic home page open as they can go back to it.
In addition... why don't you land them on the "home" page by default that has a widget that shows the new posts, and leave the Forum tab for just what it is... a listing of forums. Visiting for the first time, it was not immediately apparent that you had to scroll down a bit to find the forum list.

I'm sorry I'm a bit confused with the terminology in your first sentence - are you referring to my html website that is attached?

I used to land them on the list of forum categories, but after being a memebr of TAZ for 3 years, it seemed many members there wanted a more Facebook or Reddit style to try to stop the decline of their forrums.
So I made those changes last month.
I wanted my members to land on a page with lots of activity, rather than the traditinal list of forum categories.
They can scroll down to see the categories if they wish, and I plan to try to add a menu option or a button to take them there with one click.
Its early days yet

On desktop I do have a widget at the right of the screen which shows the newst 7 posts.

They can scroll down to see the categories if they wish, and I plan to try to add a menu option or a button to take them there with one click.
Its early days yet.
PS
This thread is entitled "Has anyone made Xenfoor look like a social site yet"
So I have attempted to do it, and some of you say I should go back to the traditional layout!

Your site does not look like a social media site though? You just slapped a content widget on the forum list which has worsened the overall experience.

You could do something similar by using a page node and setting that as your homepage, and keep the forum list the same to not degrade the user experience of a core page of the site. You could use XenPorta for a portal page, and design that to focus on pushing content if needed.

I'm not sure because of licensing, but the best way to make XenForo more social network like currently is to use Feeds by Audentio/Themehouse:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Making XenForo more like a social network requires a lot more than just a widget, as you are going to have to tailor a lot of changes to changing user interface and how you push various aspects of the site.

When you say 2.2 seconds - is that you counting or is there way of measuring it.
GTMetrix check originating from a Canada location.

I'm sorry I'm a bit confused with the terminology in your first sentence - are you referring to my html website that is attached?
I'm talking about the page that you arrive at when you go to your main domain.
You then have a link to your forum from there... which you open in another tab... to me, better it open in the same tab. Why exactly would a user want to have an additional tab open on their browser for your home page in addition to the forum... I'm assuming you link back to your home (landing) page from the forum nav bar.

As for "new posts"... think XF 2.2.10 has the ability to already have your landing page set as new posts instead of a forum listing. I haven't played with it as it wouldn't fit in for my site goals.

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 11.07.54 PM.webp

So I have attempted to do it, and some of you say I should go back to the traditional layout!
No, folks are simply telling you that your interpretation of it is not overall user friendly.
There are other and better ways to implement it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 11.07.54 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 11.07.54 PM.webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 7
My new layout shows our members and visitors the latest New Threads
(not New posts as that Xenforo option does)
I much prefer to show the new Threads rather than new Posts as new posts cycle though so quickly at a busy time of day
I set the Value of 40 on the New Threads Widget to 40 as on an averegae day we get just under 40 new threads started.

I think its much more invting or exciting for our Members or Guests to see 40 new threads with the ability to hover over each, rather than a static noring list of forum categories.

As I say its only a trial, but if members can point me to other forums with inviting or better landing pages I woud appreciate it
And who knows what really attracts or deters members or guests
Its obviously not boring old static forum layouts or there would be more and more and more forums on line, rather than less and less.

Your site does not look like a social media site though? You just slapped a content widget on the forum list which has worsened the overall experience.

You could do something similar by using a page node and setting that as your homepage, and keep the forum list the same to not degrade the user experience of a core page of the site. You could use XenPorta for a portal page, and design that to focus on pushing content if needed.

I'm not sure because of licensing, but the best way to make XenForo more social network like currently is to use Feeds by Audentio/Themehouse:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Making XenForo more like a social network requires a lot more than just a widget, as you are going to have to tailor a lot of changes to changing user interface and how you push various aspects of the site.

I may have emphased my desire to make my forum look more like a Social Media site.
What I am more concenred with is making it look more Active.

I had a quick look at that video, but, could you point me to any forums using that?

Last edited:
I much prefer to show the new Threads rather than new Posts as new posts cycle though so quickly at a busy time of day
That’s absolutely fine if it works for your users, however I would not just bung a huge new threads widget at the top of the forum list. I’m sure there are plenty of people who either want I stand access to forum list or would gain a better understand of the forum structure from it.

No, far better to make your index route to a page with the new threads widget. Then the forum tab leads to forum list and new tab leads to whatever else you want new (in my card it is new posts by default)

That’s absolutely fine if it works for your users, however I would not just bung a huge new threads widget at the top of the forum list. I’m sure there are plenty of people who either want I stand access to forum list or would gain a better understand of the forum structure from it.

No, far better to make your index route to a page with the new threads widget. Then the forum tab leads to forum list and new tab leads to whatever else you want new (in my card it is new posts by default)

Why not bung a huge new threads widget at the top of the forum list?
We need to try different things
A few of my members have complained, many more have said they like it, and many more have given it a "like".
Most of my members have just got on with using the forum
Time will telll if I get more activity or not....

I do intend to add a menu option or button to take members straight to the Forum category list, but I am not that familiar wth how to do it.
I need to proceed slowly so that I do not break the whole forum.

But I cannnot find any doumentation on how the whole Menu system works.

Top Bottom