Hardware needed for good perfomance?

~kevin~

I am on a VPS with hostgator.

Opened the forum a couple of weeks ago, when google and a couple of other bots hit the site, it slows down to a crawl. I have three sites on the server - two wordpress blogs and the forum.

I know the performance of the blogs will impact the forum, but they get little traffic.

forum has no add-ons.

Odds are they have over allocated the server that the VPS containers are stored on. Typical of many hosts, especially those that use OpenVZ format for the containers.

This is from their VPS page and is pretty telling:

Will my VPS perform better than my Shared account does?

This answer will vary based on your site and the VPS option you select. The entry level VPS nodes are targeted towards customers looking for more flexibility and will likely not result in a performance improvement, while the higher end VPS nodes should provide both flexibility and performance improvements.

You might want to upgrade to the snappy 4000 or Snappy 8000 plans. For twice as much money you can get 4 times the RAM and twice the CPUs. Sounds worth a try to me.

I have the hostgator snappy 200 package:

• 2 GB RAM
  • 2 Cores CPU
  • 120 GB Disk Space
  • 1.5 TB Bandwidth

From what you have described and the specs, you shouldn't be experiencing any issues. Have you had HostGator look over the server to see where it can be optimized? Have you confirmed if your server is hitting any of these resources at the time it becomes slow? If not, it is possible the server node has been oversold as previously mentioned.

If HostGator isn't being very helpful here, I'd be happy to have our team go into your server and look at what the issue is. Feel free to reach out if interested.

Top Bottom