Lack of interest Handling Merged Threads Better

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Divvens

Majority of the "merges" (with threads) on our community are due to duplicate discussions/discussions of same nature or to threads that are more of a "general" nature where the matter is already discussed/being discussed.

When we merge two threads, there is no indication of the merge and sometimes the content of the thread gets too confusing to follow/read, there is also a matter of the previous "thread" being lost in the thread its merged to and not being noticed by others since its no longer the "first" post.

I get it, that's the point of merging, but I think XenForo can handle merged content better. A small suggestion towards this would be to show the merged thread (which is now a post) below the opening post.

A quick mock-up:
MergedSuggestion.webp

So that anyone can click on the "merged content" links and be directed to the appropriate post in the thread.

This way there won't be any complaining by users who dislike their threads being merged (everyone hates their time and effort being wasted just to find their thread merged and now a post in between another thread) and it would also help people realize which "posts" and connected posts (by connecting the dots) are merged from another thread - which would make it much easier to follow the discussion.

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
So that anyone can click on the "merged content" links and be directed to the appropriate post in the thread.

Depending on where that merged post ended up, I can see this being extremely annoying if it bypasses a few pages of unread posts.

Sometimes I merge threads with very similar topic, but not identical. Users should know, what happened. I think it could be done with auto-post from moderator merged these threads or as public warning above first post of thread, which was merged.

Top Bottom