• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Guest Notification Addon

DPF

Guest Notification System Alpha 0.000001a
screenshot.webp
Bare with me as I learn Xenforo and feel free to contribute to this project. Lets see how this goes and if we can make it a community project... This project belongs to the Xenforo community and any code add ons from community members is appreciated. This modification can not be included in other modifications, or sold with modifications, themes, templates, or other 3rd party systems. Don't steal or repost this modification as your own, submit code changes and I'll update the package. If I can not update the package in a timely manner (within 15 days) I surrender all rights to the modification and it maybe taken over by someone else. Feel free to link to this thread for users to install!

This is the early alpha version of guest notification system. It will display alerts to users in neatly designed and laid out boxes such as the one you see here thats already completed. (See screenshot or Demo Link). This version is simply to test out if the addon is working for other people and displaying in their themes.

This doesn't require any file edits, or changes to the database currently.

Currently this is just a simple addon but requires 1 edit to extra css for the time being. Future versions will include 0 poster notice, inactivity notices, lack of avatar notice and random other features. It will be fully phrased and won't have the need to edit extra.css template manually.

If you contribute code and want credit, please do so with comments in the code, or ask for it and I'll add it to this thread at the bottom under contributors.

Contributors:

Install Directions:
1. Upload the contents of the upload folder to the following locations:
- The library folder goes to your xenforo root folder.
- The images folder goes to your webroot!

2. Install addon-DPFguestNotice.xml like any other addon.

3. Edit extra.css to include the following (be sure to edit every theme neccassary)
Code:
div.guestNotice{
    background:#fdebae url(/images/idea.png) no-repeat;background-position:3px 7px;
    border:1px solid #e6c555;
    color:#333333;
    -moz-border-radius: 5px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
    border-radius: 5px 5px 5px 5px;
    margin:10px 0 10px 0;
    padding:10px 15px 15px 125px;
    font-style:italic
    }
div.guestNotice .link { padding: 2px; background: @primaryLight; border: 4px @primaryDark;  -moz-border-radius: 5px; -webkit-border-radius: 5px; border-radius: 5px 5px 5px 5px; }
div.guestNotice h2 {font-size: 16px; font-weight: 900; text-align:center;}
div.guestNotice ul { padding-left: 10px; }
div.guestNotice ul li { padding: 2px; font-style: normal;}
div.guestNotice .strong {font-weight: 800; }

3. Don't be a **** if you have a problem with the addon, let me know. I'll do my best to help you, but I've only owned xenforo for about 72 hours myself.

Screenshots are attached. Demo Link is here.

Troubleshooting:
No image(s) are appearing: Be sure to upload the images folder in your root directory (not the xenforo directory)

Corners aren't rounded in IE: Rounded corners are only supported in IE9 and newer.

Planned Features:
  • Fully phrased system.
  • No extra.css file edit.
  • Ability to define custom messages.
  • Notice to 0 poster users.
  • Notice to inactive users.
The more likes this thread gets, the better the chances development happens at a rapid pace.

Attachments

There was a similar add-on that Floris released before, maybe some features missing that xenfans.com Welcome Blocks already has but this looks very decent too. For a XenForo owner for only 72 hours I would not be suprized to see more awesome stuff commnf from your in the near future. Keep up the good work :)

If I had one comment to make, it's that some of the colours are hard-coded.
Wherever possible they should use the @ color palette definitions.

Otherwise if someone has multiple styles installed they will need to edit it for each style, which then stops EXTRA.css in child styles automatically updating.

Nice job though.

Thanks brogan that's going to be rolled out in the next release.

Will also be fixing the registration link and hopefully making another release with an added notification later today/tomorrow.

It's a phrase so you should be able to change it just be looking it up in the ACP like you would for changing phrases for XenForo.

That is incorrect and shouldn't be done that way.
Learn something everyday. I suppose i should go put it all back and do it the right way then. :p

Learn something everyday. I suppose i should go put it all back and do it the right way then. :p
Editing the XML files doesn't actually do anything, as it's only used when importing data into the database. From then on you should be using the ACP to make changes.

Code:
<li class="strong">To many membership perks to list! <a href="{xen:link register}">Join today for free!</a> | <a href="{xen:link XenStaff}">Staff List</a></li>

Added Staff List and fixed Register link

Code:
<a href="{xen:link register}" >Sign up</a>

Removed the class link, IMO it seemed too distracting.

Small changes, but I just thought I'd contribute for the members eye's ^_^

Top Bottom