GPS Location functionality - HTML Geolocation API

Mouth

With xF now a PWA, and mobile devices being the predominant UI device, it would be terrific to implement the HTML Geolocation API and make available current GPS location to xF functionality and add-on developers.

Pre-populate location is user account, locate members near me on members list, add current location to post/media/resource, 'check-in' within profile post/status, 'check-in' to a Resource item (where item has a location) etc.

And soooo many usages for this core functionality from add-on developers!

Upvote 17
Makes sense. No idea why this isn't a feature already. Users can still maintain privacy options where their location wouldn't be shown, or if the location is incorrect (VPN or something?) - They could edit.

If they're allowing geolocation usage, it works off GPS and wifi signals available, so much more accurate than relying on IP address. eg. it still works with VPN's etc.
But that's the whole point of a vpn right? To mask the users location. I use a vpn through my WiFi. Still! Up voted.

I have a local fishing related forum, and it would be super cool if my members could hit the "I'm fishing" button, and those who are fishing the same water body could "see" each other on a radar.

I have a local fishing related forum, and it would be super cool if my members could hit the "I'm fishing" button, and those who are fishing the same water body could "see" each other on a radar.
Yes, soooo many usages available to both core and add-on developers if XF had geolocation functionality available. With many/most sites getting 50%+ of mobile traffic, it's a significant user experience option.

I have thought, since I started using Xenforo, that it would be an interesting feature to have a “sort” option by proximity. I can see forums be useful for lots of things with that. In my case users want to find “pet sitters”. The forum would be more useful and used if it could be sorted with nearest poster first (and maybe a filter for age of thread).

Top Bottom