Got a new (to me) toy!

TPerry

Just picked this baby up and brought her home to the garage yesterday. BIG change from the Honda Goldwing I've been riding. Caught a wheelie on it out of the dealership. :p
Wife was behind me and when she got home she wanted to know where our insurance (life) policies were.. she was planning on increasing my coverage. :rolleyes:

It's a 2005 Yamaha FJR with a "whole" 12,854 miles on the clock. Turns out I knew the previous owner - he didn't ride it much because after he got it his father passed away and he inherited 4 other bikes that he ended up riding more.

IMG_0292_opt.webp

Last edited:
Touring sports always look so strange to my eyes. 1300 CCs and electronically limited to 130 mph, IIRC. Insurance shouldn't be much different since this kind of plays in the Goldwing territory.

Touring sports always look so strange to my eyes. 1300 CCs and electronically limited to 130 mph, IIRC. Insurance shouldn't be much different since this kind of plays in the Goldwing territory.
Actually $55 higher. :cautious:
And research I've done shows the top speed (not governed) is in the 150'ish area.
Shows 10.86 in the 1/4 at around 126mph.:cool:

Even better! Don't tell the wife. :p
She knows me to well... and she was standing behind me when I was researching it before the purchase. ;)
Now it's time to get a Dynojet PCIII USB and a few other toys (sliders at the top of the list). I found they even make a hitch for it so I can use my trailer I purchased for the Goldwing (it's a light trailer at only 150lbs and can be maneuvered into a motel room easily). Can't wait till it gets warm again and my son takes his Mustang GT to the track. I'm going to tag along and show his buddies how a 1/4 mile should be ran. Did a 12.89 on the Goldwing - which for that big of a bike isn't bad.
All I know is it is a LOT quicker than the Wing and handles MUCH better.

Thought your kids were still fairly young. My toys for Christmas would be a new work station, mini home data center and a set of large monitors. Was thinking of picking up a PS4 myself but I'll wait out the first eight months when they break down. :)

Thought your kids were still fairly young. My toys for Christmas would be a new work station, mini home data center and a set of large monitors. Was thinking of picking up a PS4 myself but I'll wait out the first eight months when they break down. :)
Youngest is 22 and just got married... oldest is 26 and just bought his first house. :)
Me and momma have spare money now! I'm 50 and the wife is still "29".:LOL:

Same with me... was going to pre-order both a xBox One and the PS/4... but I'll let some other folks beta test 'em before I get them.:whistle:

Youngest is 22 and just got married... oldest is 26 and just bought his first house. :)
Me and momma have spare money now! I'm 50 and the wife is still "29".:LOL:

Same with me... was going to pre-order both a xBox One and the PS/4... but I'll let some other folks beta test 'em before I get them.:whistle:
I'm probably going to stick with the good ol' fashioned PC for gaming. Nice ride though.

I'm probably going to stick with the good ol' fashioned PC for gaming. Nice ride though.
Took it out today on a curvy loop (about 40 miles) and came back home with a BIG grin on my face. Wife went "Well, guess I don't have to ask if you like it or not". That thing will get into the triple digits REAL quick.

Could pick up an older model sport touring for cheap. Low miles, not being dropped and no engine abuse should land you a sweet ride. Tracy, I'm mainly a person who enjoys gaming on my desktop, primarily because of my big, comfy chair. Though the idea of laying on the couch and a wireless controller also speak to me. We don't have children yet, so it's been nice since then. I've got plenty of nieces and nephews. LOL

I'd love a 1300 cc Ducati. Just not feeling good about being older and far too tall for a sport bike. Oh and the 30,000+ pricetag to boot. But to ride their 1300 cc superbike is to ride a Lamborghini on two wheels, so to speak. The tech on that puppy is insane.

Could pick up an older model sport touring for cheap. Low miles, not being dropped and no engine abuse should land you a sweet ride. Tracy, I'm mainly a person who enjoys gaming on my desktop, primarily because of my big, comfy chair. Though the idea of laying on the couch and a wireless controller also speak to me. We don't have children yet, so it's been nice since then. I've got plenty of nieces and nephews. LOL

I'd love a 1300 cc Ducati. Just not feeling good about being older and far too tall for a sport bike. Oh and the 30,000+ pricetag to boot. But to ride their 1300 cc superbike is to ride a Lamborghini on two wheels, so to speak. The tech on that puppy is insane.
I'm sitting in my big comfy chair right now.. my Mac is to the left of me, my 55" LCD Samsung TV that is only used for game consoles is (now) in front of me and COD Ghost is in pause.
I had a friend that worked at Verizon (he was younger and living at home and had no real outlay for anything) who had a 2010 Ducati Panigale R I got to take a spin on. Was OK... but I've never been comfortable on the full sport bike style. The MultiStrada looks like a nice bike, but living in the sticks I'd be doing ALL the mechanic work to it myself. Same way with the Aprilia. I wouldn't turn down a RSV4 Factory APRC ABS - but probably wouldn't ride it much now that I've gotten older.

That would be the one! Sportbikes can be fun, just takes getting used to. Right now I'm sitting in my living room "watching" DVR'd shows and going over work stuff. Probably going to go to bed at 2 so I at least have a fourth of the bed and covers.

But the Panigale R is it. The thing I love about Ducs are they do not sound like every other bike. Granted a CBR1000RR can have a sweet sound with an aftermarket system. Don't know if you watch Top Gear US, but they had a bike on their show last month. The Attack Racing team's motogp bike for 2013. Not sure what the base is, but it's been modded to its ends. Very light weight and killer 0-100 times. I just can't get over the idea of dropping 15-30 grand on a bike only to be able to ride it four months out of the year if I'm lucky. I have no problems spending many times that amount on a car simply because it gets used 4-5x a week. Though the irony of that is I own another car to drive on my off days or around town. Too many bad drives and soccer moms/dads who'll happily ding your door.

Last edited:
One thing I hate about living in a small town.... limited motorcycle dealers (Honda only here). "Had" to ride 40 minutes to the next nearer larger town to get a spare key for the bike (dang, $17 for a blank - time to visit eBay). Turns out they couldn't cut the key (the messed one up) and ended up taking the blank to a local hardware store that still had the OLD style key cutting machine (no computers there except in the office and at the cash register). On the way back got behind a line of 6 cars that were following a class A motorhome at 45mph in a 70mph zone. Needless to say, first chance I got to pass I did. I knew the bike was quick - but not THAT quick. MUCH faster than the Goldwing was. I won't comment on how fast I was going - but it was faster than I did the 1/4 mile on the Goldwing on.

What's Texas's laws on lane splitting? The Goldwing is a touring bike (Fun to ride for long distance) the FJR is a sport touring bike. Essentially it's a blend of supersport and touring, they meet in the middle. I'd like to read your thoughts on 600-1200 cc class supersport. The best road I've seen in the west coast has been the road into Vegas. You go up to NorCal and the roads are a little better but always damp. Washington and Oregon are out as well due to that issue. South Texas for hunting is horrible. Even in a modern truck you feel every nook and cranny in the road. It's a very polarizing state in its entirety.

What's Texas's laws on lane splitting?
AFAIK - You don't.

The Goldwing is a touring bike (Fun to ride for long distance) the FJR is a sport touring bike. Essentially it's a blend of supersport and touring, they meet in the middle. I'd like to read your thoughts on 600-1200 cc class supersport. The best road I've seen in the west coast has been the road into Vegas.
Yep - I rode my '05 Wing from San Rafael, CA back here (about 2100 miles) over a 3 day period. Was comfortable to ride, except for the rain all in California, the snow/sleet entering Flagstaff and then the high winds (steady 30mph gusts to about 45) for most of the way home the third day. Even at that I had fun.
South Texas for hunting is horrible. Even in a modern truck you feel every nook and cranny in the road. It's a very polarizing state in its entirety.
South Texas is good for hunting javalina and mulies. Nice to visit - but wouldn't want to live there. :)

We did wild boar. At the time Texas was real relaxed about non-statesmen coming in and slaughtering as much as they could given a permit. Our group of about 18 got about 30 hogs. Of that 30 only 4 had that strong gamey taste. Very good boar, nice and fatty with good flavor. The fatty parts went over to the BBQ and the drier parts went into slow cookers or chopped up and cooked like regular meat. Won't touch most NA wild game since they eat crap and thus taste like it. You'll fine some incredible venison, quail and bear in Eastern Europe, where there's only nuts and grass to eat. Land owners here tend to just supply junk to the wild animals. Literally have seen cupcakes and rotten ice cream for animals...

Last edited:
We did wild boar. At the time Texas was real relaxed about non-statesmen coming in and slaughtering as much as they could given a permit. Our group of about 18 got about 30 hogs. Of that 30 only 4 had that strong gamey taste. Very good boar, nice and fatty with good flavor. The fatty parts went over to the BBQ and the drier parts went into slow cookers or chopped up and cooked like regular meat. Won't touch most NA wild game since they eat crap and thus taste like it. You'll fine some incredible venison, quail and bear in Eastern Europe, where there's only nuts and grass to eat. Land owners here tend to just supply junk to the wild animals. Literally have seen cupcakes and rotten ice cream for animals...
Hog's are natures garbage disposal systems. They'll eat just about anything that doesn't eat them first. :)
And don't tell the deer on my brothers land about junk food. They get top grade corn in the feeders year round (even when the acorn crop is good) and there is always some high dollar cover crops planted for them. :cool:

Top Bottom