Google's new ranking system punishes forums?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Create a text file using notepad or similar.
Add the content posted earlier, edited to suit your site.
Name it robots.txt
Upload it to your web root.

erich37

I was actually asking whether the file "robots.txt" is included already in XF-software.
As I can not find it in my web root.

Do I need this robots.txt file in order to get better ranked in Google or not ?

Thanks!

erich37

ok, so you are saying having this file installed (exactly the same one as here at XF) will improve my Google ranking or rank my site higher in search-results?

Although I am wondering when I use "Disallow" as is being done here at the .txt.file of XF, then many pages of my forum will not be indexed ?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
A robots.txt file is primarily to control how search engines access your site, to stop them accessing/indexing certain content.

Hence why disallow is being used.

Anthony Parsons

ok, so you are saying having this file installed (exactly the same one as here at XF) will improve my Google ranking or rank my site higher in search-results?
No, a robots.txt file will not do that... it will keep out irrelevant content from Google that Google may punish you for. I do not use one for XF forums... its not needed.

Ranking a website is a complicated process.... and if you really want to learn about it, then go visit Aaron Walls site http://www.seobook.com, pay some $$$ and really knuckly down to learning.

Digital Doctor

When Google started to redo its search, my website began to slowly fall in the ranks. I was once on the first page of results and now I can go to page 10 and I still don't show up! Every other search engine shows me on the first page.
Do you feel this is still the case ?