Google: Sometimes There Is No SEO Solution To Your Ranking Problems

djbaxter

in memoriam 1947-2022

Google Says Sometimes There Is No SEO Solution To Your Ranking Problems

Barry Schwartz
July 8, 2021

Google's John Mueller told one publisher that "it's possible that there's just no SEO solution" to your Google ranking issues. He said sometimes it is not a technical or link building issue, sometimes it has to do with your content and your product and that "the site strategy is now obsolete."

John Mueller said this on Reddit when asked "If I hire an SEO expert service would they be able to find out whats wrong with my website and help me improve it?"

John Mueller replied in full saying:

One of the things to keep in mind is that it's possible that there's just no SEO solution. 6 years is a long time, and the web + Google News + everything around it has evolved quite a bit. Sometimes it's not a technical issue, sometimes it's not something you can fix by just "buying a bunch of links", sometimes it's just that the site strategy is now obsolete. You can have a fantastic website, make it super-fast, have "high authority & trustworthiness" (however you want to define that), but if you're selling VHS cassettes, you're going to have a bad time. It's more obvious when there's a physical product involved, but if content is your product, it applies just as well.

Google Says Sometimes There Is No SEO Solution To Your Ranking Problems

Barry Schwartz
July 8, 2021

Google's John Mueller told one publisher that "it's possible that there's just no SEO solution" to your Google ranking issues. He said sometimes it is not a technical or link building issue, sometimes it has to do with your content and your product and that "the site strategy is now obsolete."

John Mueller said this on Reddit when asked "If I hire an SEO expert service would they be able to find out whats wrong with my website and help me improve it?"

John Mueller replied in full saying:
What Google's employees are saying here is nonsense.
All of the core updates are ultimately only aimed at increasing the financial side of Google and of course at gaining more and more power over the network and its participants.

After this...

we lost ~50% !
1625940370337.webp

The number of hits has dropped by 50%, even though we are one of the largest and almost the only forum in this field. Many new help requests are started and answered every day. (...)

They love to promote themselves. Anytime you search, Youtube is always number one with 5+ videos...and a lot of times that's more of an inconvenience than a quick 5 step written guide. You get an ad when you load up youtube (money), you get the person who created the video rambling for about 3 minutes, then promotes a product that they were paid to promote, then you get to 5 minutes of a round about way to explain something simple so they reach that magical 9-10 minute mark for guides. Useless.

This is what Google has taken from us.

Or they will have Reddit and Facebook groups showing above us now when we've been the authority for 15 years. Reddit is rarely the best place for updated information on the topics we cover. Facebook groups...lol...how can that ever make it in the index? They are so unorganized, same question is asked a million times a day, you get stupid comments...none of the core updates have made any sense in the last year+.

The way I see it, they are pushing traffic to themselves and other big tech firms. FFS, I don't even know why they ever link to Microsofts "guides". They are the worst at explaining how to do anything (for reference, I just got done looking up Excel macro guides and not a single MS link was useful). What's even more crazy, I tend to find the best answers in forums yet "us forums" are not considered an authority because users are "anonymous" and not have some global "author" tag to give extra weight.

What Google's employees are saying here is nonsense.
All of the core updates are ultimately only aimed at increasing the financial side of Google and of course at gaining more and more power over the network and its participants.

After this...

we lost ~50% !
View attachment 254526

The number of hits has dropped by 50%, even though we are one of the largest and almost the only forum in this field. Many new help requests are started and answered every day. (...)

Take in account the summer and the post lockdown activity plummeting.

They love to promote themselves. Anytime you search, Youtube is always number one with 5+ videos...and a lot of times that's more of an inconvenience than a quick 5 step written guide. You get an ad when you load up youtube (money), you get the person who created the video rambling for about 3 minutes, then promotes a product that they were paid to promote, then you get to 5 minutes of a round about way to explain something simple so they reach that magical 9-10 minute mark for guides. Useless.

Exactly. And I can say more. Most of the time is really easy to outrank a forum in Google Search. With little to none SEO optimization you can outrank almost every forum with a WordPress blog.

One of the things to keep in mind is that it's possible that there's just no SEO solution. 6 years is a long time, and the web + Google News + everything around it has evolved quite a bit. Sometimes it's not a technical issue, sometimes it's not something you can fix by just "buying a bunch of links", sometimes it's just that the site strategy is now obsolete. You can have a fantastic website, make it super-fast, have "high authority & trustworthiness" (however you want to define that), but if you're selling VHS cassettes, you're going to have a bad time. It's more obvious when there's a physical product involved, but if content is your product, it applies just as well.

He might as well have said "old school" here as in VHS cassettes, record players, conservative views, traditional values, etc.

Sometimes it is just Google not liking your content for be it for political or other reasons. Sadly, that's a fact of life now here in AMERIKA the "progressives" like Google are trying push these days.

I'm surprised he didn't end his comments with Good Night Comrades! :LOL:

But on a serious note, whatever Big Tech gives, they can easily take away. Just like the mouse that gets caught in the mousetrap because he didn't understand that the big hunk of cheese is not free. Don't get caught in Google's mousetrap of relying solely on their search results or their ad products for your needs. Diversify and spread your site advertising or marketing out by as many ways possible. Use traditional methods of spreading your site by exchanging links with other similar sites, guest post blogging, etc.

I have never liked the idea of Google Ads, etc. I never participated in that or anyone else's ads because all I could see is them taking your $100 for ads and giving $10 to some computer sweat shop in Asia somewhere to sit there and click on your ads all day while Google pockets the other $90. :rolleyes: Then there are the people who sit there and compete with others in the auction type atmosphere where they bid the highest for the spots on the first page. The kid in Asia gets the same $.02 cents for clicking on your ad while Google pockets even more money per click.

In traditional advertising it was already a gamble with how many saw your ads. But sometimes they would do things like using publicly accessible state traffic surveying numbers and counts for deciding when to expand roads, etc. Advertisers could say the state survey showed 30,000 cars passing by a day to gain some idea of how many people you could expect to see your ads, etc. Today Google just gives estimates on potential clicks and people pluck down money by faith on what Google reports and says when it comes to how many people clicked on your links. That's like asking the fox how many chickens are in the hen house when he is guarding it. You won't get the real number until it is too late. The same can be true with your marketing money thrown out to Google, Facebook, etc. JMHO.

First and foremost, Google is an advertsing company. The search engine, Gmail, etc. is just a means to the end which is making money. They will shift the results to whoever pays them the most and to those who are like them. That's just the way it is now. :-( In the end, I just gave up on Google and the rest of them (organic SEO) and don't let the stress of their every update make you live on a emotional rollercoaster. JMHO.

This thread has become a meeting of bitter conspiracy theorists.

The world of search is very different than it was even 5 years ago. Those who cannot learn and change with the times will be found lying in ditches at the side of the road, and they will have no one to blame but themselves.

Really, it's up to you. Learn. Change. Thrive. Or not.

The world of search is very different than it was even 5 years ago. Those who cannot learn and change with the times will be found lying in ditches at the side of the road, and they will have no one to blame but themselves.

Everytime someone says something wrong about Google you go mad.

Everyone that studies SEO professionally knows how Google works in some search results, that they consider "hot" they put 5 YouTube videos after the first two search results. Is a fact.

Outrank a forum? WordPress can do it easily. In our case I monitor over 500 topics and when we enter a new niche and anticipate most of blogs and sites they manage to outrank us with simple SEO tricks that Google should know. They simply rank more the Authored Content than the UGC.

You can Study, Adapt, Overcome when the game is not rigged by default. Is an algorithm and it does work in the same way almost.. everytime.

Everytime someone says something wrong about Google you go mad.

Everyone that studies SEO professionally knows how Google works in some search results, that they consider "hot" they put 5 YouTube videos after the first two search results. Is a fact.

Outrank a forum? WordPress can do it easily. In our case I monitor over 500 topics and when we enter a new niche and anticipate most of blogs and sites they manage to outrank us with simple SEO tricks that Google should know. They simply rank more the Authored Content than the UGC.

You can Study, Adapt, Overcome when the game is not rigged by default. Is an algorithm and it does work in the same way almost.. everytime.

I'm not going mad at all. I post this sort of information to help those who want to be helped. If you would rather complain about Google or continue to forecast the death of forums, feel free. If you prefer to believe in conspiracy theories and a "rigged game" out to get you, feel free.

If you prefer to work with the changes in algorithms to maximize the potential for your sites including forums, it's important that you understand how those algorithms work and how they change over time.

I'm not going mad at all. I post this sort of information to help those who want to be helped. If you would rather complain about Google or continue to forecast the death of forums, feel free. If you prefer to believe in conspiracy theories and a "rigged game" out to get you, feel free.

If you prefer to work with the changes in algorithms to maximize the potential for your sites including forums, it's important that you understand how those algorithms work and how they change over time.

I'm not forecasting anything just saying something that personally, for now, I don't know how to counter, im trying out things.

I like forums, I think that Google only wants them for opinion gathering and feedback gathering. Not solutions or for share knowledge (guides). They want solutions or articles for that.

I'm changing my 10 years old forum to accommodate those changes. Performance wise we did a lot of changes from the theme to the infrastructure.

In September we will work to introduce more structural changes. But sometimes Google "cheats" to advantage their properties.

One of the points I was making in my post was that you can thrive WITHOUT Google. I've been doing it for along time now. ;)

As for the forums vs. website thing, I have no idea about that. I have both. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, I found your OP to be very helpful. Thank you for posting it. 👍 It just confirmed what some of us have known all along and that is that if Big Tech doesn't like what your site is about for whatever reason, you've got a better chance of seeing a cold day in Hell than you will of seeing your website in their SERPS. 😂

At least as I have found as it relates to Google. I've found Bing and Yahoo to be more tolerable to "forbidden subject" websites like conservative views and traditional values websites. That's probably why my site ranks in the top 10 pages for them, but can't be found anywhere in Google for the prized keywords.

The Google executive only mentioned "VHS cassettes" but the same principle works for other topics as they see fit. An algorithm only does what it is told to do. It's not an unbiased thing. And that is not conspiracy theory. All one has to do is go over to the Project Veritas website and hear it straight from the mouth of Big Tech employees themselves who if given enough alcohol will expose the shenanigans of our new Big Tech overlords. (n)

Some of us have tried to work with them for years in organic SEO, only to hit a wall that seemed like nothing worked. And as your OP shows, there's a reason for that. It wouldn't matter how much money you spent in SEO services, it would all be for nothing. The only option you would have is to pay Google for ads to appear on their SERPs...OR...to find ways to thrive WITHOUT Google. And it is possible if you are so inclined to do it.

It's all about that thing you talked about, you know...Learn. Change. Thrive. Or not. 👍;)

JMHO. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom