XF 2.1 Google Lighthouse and PWA

dvduval

I thought I would revisit this now that 2.1 is out. I have PHP 7.3 running smoothly (awesome!), and use Guest Caching (pages load MUCH faster, super awesome!). So I'm wondering if there is anything stopping Xenforo from using service worker, splash screen, etc such that I can pass the PWA test, and allow my forum to be installed as a PWA? I plan to hire a programmer to do this work, but want to make sure it sounds viable and not a huge task or something.
Thanks!

PWA is more than just a home screen icon, if you really want to take full advantage of service workers it will IMHO be a huge amount of work.

Last edited:
PWA is more than just a home screen icon, if you really want to take full dvantage of service workers it will IMHO be a huge amount of work.
For me, I think some users might like it, and maybe in the near future can get in the Play Store, which would be great. I also tend to side with Google above Apple, as they allow push notification, so I want to try to support Google in allowing apps to be more free, as opposed to Apple, who takes a percent of every dollar and charges a lot for developers to push apps to their store. But that is all opinion, and really just wondering if it would be easy. haha

Google does allow PWAs on the Play Store now. A recent update basically enabled it. But it is still a work in progress. And requires a lot of work. Maybe in a year or two 😁

Top Bottom