"Google is your friend" or "Use the search" syndrome

creativeforge

Hi all,

I'm new here, just discovered Xenforo and very excited about it. And I love the atmosphere and helpfulness I've seen. Without it, many of us would have a hard time making headways other than at a crawl. It's a new software for us, deeply well developed, excellently coded, and with a lot of resources.

One thing I'd like to suggest to the small number of users I've seen doing so, though, is that if you are interested in helping someone, please find something more helpful than : "Use the search." Or "Look harder." I'm sure you can understand why. I doubt you learned what you know by having people respond this way to you. Point to a link if you know of one. Offer an answer we can actually use to solve our issue.

New people don't have your experience, and despite what you seem to suggest, most people probably use the search first. And find so much text to read, so many posts to sift through, that it's normal to think: "Maybe someone would be kind enough to point me directly to the help I need."

Just wanted to share this hoping it helps some of these people change their tune. Maybe. Or not. I know for myself, if I get involved in a thread, I will want to bring something positive and helpful, not be snide and arrogant with the OP. And if you're having a bad day, just say so, I'm quite sure someone will try to lighten it for you some... :)

Anyways, I value community, and hope to connect with many people here on a positive basis!

Regards,

Andre

One thing I'd like to suggest to the small number of users I've seen doing so, though, is that if you are interested in helping someone, please find something more helpful than : "Use the search."
That's actually against the site rules: Terms and Rules
3. Posts should always be constructive and on topic. For common issues, simply telling someone to search is not acceptable.

I have seen the post I believe you're referring to and will deal with it.

Top Bottom