Google fined 50 million euros due to ads

Ozzy47

Seems Google has been fined over it's ads due to GDPR compliance issues.

"Google has been fined 50 million euros (£44m) by the French data regulator CNIL, for a breach of the EU's data protection rules.

CNIL said it had levied the record fine for "lack of transparency, inadequate information and lack of valid consent regarding ads personalisation".

The regulator said it judged that people were "not sufficiently informed" about how Google collected data to personalise advertising.

In a statement, Google said it was "studying the decision" to determine its next steps. "

Read the rest of the story here,

Not really, it is a sizable fine.
If one was fined a thousand times, the amount you suggest is pointless.

1000 x $5 = $5,000
1000 x $50,000,000 = $50,000,000,000

Considering Google is worth 1.2 billion that would equate to almost half their worth.

1000 x $5 = $5,000
1000 x $50,000,000 = $50,000,000,000

Considering Google is worth 1.2 billion that would equate to almost half their worth.

$50 Billion is roughly 41 times $1.2 Billion though, not half. Also, Google's estimated net worth is around $780 Billion. And where in the article did it say they were being fined 1,000 times? I don't think I read that in anything I saw about this whole thing

okay, I get it so EU is blocking and it wants to play around ... think about if Google pulled out of EU by focusing o ranking none EU sites only ...

I applaud this, and even Google is mortal, however one wonders where the money goes to...

The French legal system ? A general EU account ? The victims ?

Actually, although going to charity sounds well, that enables malefactors to rationalize their sins, so really some giant wasteful arts project would be best, and hopefully enrage the anti-EU mob.

Google generated Ad revenue = billions £ $
Fined by EU = 50 million Euros

Great Buisness model. They're laughing all the way to the bank. Google are certainly not stupid they'll accept that loss with open arms

The curios of us wonder if each "state" of the EU will be able to fine at those levels or does the EU get one go at it.
Pretty sure I know what the answer is.

Be even nicer if every person could sue Google privately and win [ not in a class action, but accumulatively all of us subjected to rotten advertising ].

I applaud this, and even Google is mortal, however one wonders where the money goes to...

The French legal system ? A general EU account ? The victims ?

Actually, although going to charity sounds well, that enables malefactors to rationalize their sins, so really some giant wasteful arts project would be best, and hopefully enrage the anti-EU mob.
The same place virtually all money goes: the pockets of the politicians.

The problem with some of these big fines, is that many just don't get paid until they're negotiated down to lower figures.

It's like the Chinese app/social media company TikTok (formerly Musica.ly) getting fined for collecting data on children under 13 years old.

The fine $5.7M. I think officially each violation of COPPA should carry a fine of about $16k

That's only 356 violations if fined to the letter of the law. If the app has 65M users, and a "large percentage are underage, as reported, then that fine is pittance compared to what they should have been fined. Not forgetting the value they will have gotten from collecting all that data.

Its report said the Musical.ly app had 65 million users in the US, a "large percentage" of which were underage.

I read an interesting point the other day, where someone said at what point does one of these companies get a fine that's just too big and they don't bother to pay it? Currently they're simply operating costs, easy to write off as the benefit they receive from flaunting the law far outweighs the impact of the fine itself.

When one of these companies does get a fine going into the hundreds of millions, or billions, to more accurately reflect the data misuse, how long till we actually see any of that money? Will we just settle for less so that we actually get some of it? Will they start to pull their business from various countries because it's not worth it? It will be interesting to see.

Top Bottom