Google Drive and other cloud services

There's no reason why I couldn't store files on my web server, I never thought of it actually, the reason being probably I'd have to hassle around using FTP to get the file to whatever machine I am on, work on the file, remember to FTP it back, it all seems a big potential for losing track of files or edits. Cloud based or NAS services are more likely to have me working on one central file are they not, or synching any updates automatically?

There's no reason why I couldn't store files on my web server, I never thought of it actually, the reason being probably I'd have to hassle around using FTP to get the file to whatever machine I am on, work on the file, remember to FTP it back, it all seems a big potential for losing track of files or edits. ...
Actually, it'd be pretty easy. Just map the FTP site as a drive and then you can access it like you would any other network drive on your PC. Just map drive for each of the PCs in your house that you'll be working on.

Here is an example article on how to do it with Windows 7: http://www.redmondpie.com/access-ftp-sites-natively-in-windows-7/

Thanks Kevin, never knew you could do that. Learn something new every day. Can this also be done for XP, Vista and Mac OS (my three systems)?

Thanks Kevin, never knew you could do that. Learn something new every day. Can this also be done for XP, Vista and Mac OS (my three systems)?
The instructions for Vista & Win7 should be nearly identical so the guide above should be good for the Vista box but try this link for instructions that cover both Vista & XP.

http://cybernetnews.com/cybernotes-map-a-ftp-to-a-drive-in-windows/

For Mac, I'll have to leave that to those who use them more than I since it has been some time since I had one to play around with.

EDIT: And, before somebody makes a point for the sake of playing devil's advocate, there are some cons to mapping an FTP drive. For simple file copying the method will work but a 3rd party utility to allow SFTP mapping might be a better choice.

I mean I like music play and docs I enjoy using these two features everyday. They really made my life easier . I don't know how the cloud/drive is going to help me. Anyhow I know I don't want to give them anything thats personal, and pay them to keep this information too. I rather use the hard drive to save my personal information. ;)

I mean I like music play and docs I enjoy using these two features everyday. They really made my life easier . I don't know how the cloud/drive is going to help me. Anyhow I know I don't want to give them anything thats personal, and pay them to keep this information too. I rather use the hard drive to save my personal information. ;)
Google Drive is free, unless you pay for additional space.

You give out information everytime you visit a website to an endless amount of companies that then use your information to make money. As I said before, pretty much every company do the things that Google does, Google is just the most transparent about what they do with the information (And allow you to access and download that information as well).

Yeah, that's possible, but far from perfect. Nor does it even have half the features Dropbox offers, nor the stability.

I don't use cloud services (never felt the need to) but I found this article interesting. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57420551-93/who-owns-your-files-on-google-drive/
From the comments:

This entire discussion is stupid.

Google does not need your crappy data to make a buck; nor is it going to risk its hundreds of billions of dollars in company value on your stupid novel.

Google saves your files securely, which requires redundancy, which requires copying. Do they want to be sued for doing what it takes to run their business? No. So they simply say "look, in order to make your stuff available whether you are here or there, using this device or that device, whether there's a tornado here or an earthquake there, we're going to need to save your files in a few different locations, and we don't want you coming back to say we're copying your copyrighted material, so please just agree to allow us to do that, in order to make your stuff available."

THINK, people - how else would you expect them to do what they do?

Sheesh.​

From the comments:

This entire discussion is stupid.

Google does not need your crappy data to make a buck; nor is it going to risk its hundreds of billions of dollars in company value on your stupid novel.

Google saves your files securely, which requires redundancy, which requires copying. Do they want to be sued for doing what it takes to run their business? No. So they simply say "look, in order to make your stuff available whether you are here or there, using this device or that device, whether there's a tornado here or an earthquake there, we're going to need to save your files in a few different locations, and we don't want you coming back to say we're copying your copyrighted material, so please just agree to allow us to do that, in order to make your stuff available."

THINK, people - how else would you expect them to do what they do?

Sheesh.​

You quoted me from over a year ago. :ROFLMAO: Honestly, i wouldn't let it bother you, I'm one of a million(s) :LOL:

But since we're talking about it. It only takes one smart intelligent user/developer to create something that is a game changer to the industry that would otherwise make them multi-millions and google could steal it from under their noses. I'm not saying it would happen but given the chance would anyone pass the opportunity to make a quick buck from someone's hard work? How many times have we seen people develop something only for larger companies to steal their ideas.

You quoted me from over a year ago. :ROFLMAO: Honestly, i wouldn't let it bother you, I'm one of a million(s) :LOL:

But since we're talking about it. It only takes one smart intelligent user/developer to create something that is a game changer to the industry that would otherwise make them multi-millions and google could steal it from under their noses. I'm not saying it would happen but given the chance would anyone pass the opportunity to make a quick buck from someone's hard work? How many times have we seen people develop something only for larger companies to steal their ideas.
I've been searching up which cloud services are the most secure for a couple weeks now and I've seen both good and bad things about em all. It's not hard to imagine Google doing that to a developer. Can't trust nobody. :(

Having all Apple products, using iCloud is just really convenient, though they also don't have the issues that Google present, being to further use your data to deliver you targeted ads. Apple don't mine through your data targeting you for crap when you surf the web, it is purely just cloud storage for having their products.

Like Floris touched on dropbox. It is very handy for large file transfers between devices and locations without having to do anything other than turn on your device. I like iCloud for this reason, being all my data is synced between my macs, iPad and iPhone, without me having to do a thing. I can add a contact on my phone and its on my computer next time I turn it on, as are documents on my phone or iPad when I turn them on... needing them on the go.

IMHO, cloud have a lot of good uses, though also they have lots of privacy issues for sensitive data... depending on how much you trust the company to do the right thing. I trust Apple more than Google with my data, as Google are renowned for mining through your data to automatically give you better ad demographics... Apple are not.
I wish iCloud would let us have a folder on our desktop so that I can sync with Scrivener with all my devices.

Now I'm stuck waiting for the Scrivener app.

I've been searching up which cloud services are the most secure for a couple weeks now and I've seen both good and bad things about em all. It's not hard to imagine Google doing that to a developer. Can't trust nobody. :(

I don't think however Google would need or even sniff at my work. It's so insignificant I'd probably be flattered more than anything if they used anything of mine but they have far far better designers than me on their teams. Example: Google Doodle guy. I've not really looked up on any cloud services myself, still don't feel the need to since I always ensure I backup all my work and put it on multiple hardrives, pen drives (my wdtv media player :P ) So I always have backups at hand whenever I need them if something were to happen.

Though the example I mentioned above. I suspect any developer that came up with a game changer say (App, technology they knew was going to make them a ton of money) I very much doubt they would be placing it on Google Drive since they're more likely to use local storage. Or I would assume they do, I wouldn't be 100% sure and just guessing.

I don't think however Google would need or even sniff at my work. It's so insignificant I'd probably be flattered more than anything if they used anything of mine but they have far far better designers than me on their teams. Example: Google Doodle guy. I've not really looked up on any cloud services myself, still don't feel the need to since I always ensure I backup all my work and put it on multiple hardrives, pen drives (my wdtv media player :p ) So I always have backups at hand whenever I need them if something were to happen.

Though the example I mentioned above. I suspect any developer that came up with a game changer say (App, technology they knew was going to make them a ton of money) I very much doubt they would be placing it on Google Drive since they're more likely to use local storage. Or I would assume they do, I wouldn't be 100% sure and just guessing.
I think they would if you had certain key words in your work that would come up in their super search engine. I imagine Google has some kind of super search engine. Where you can either search 1. The Web. 2. Deep Web. 3. Google User Accounts or a combination of all three... but it would only be allowed to be access at the highest levels or else their workers would never get anything done.

I think they would if you had certain key words in your work that would come up in their super search engine. I imagine Google has some kind of super search engine. Where you can either search 1. The Web. 2. Deep Web. 3. Google User Accounts or a combination of all three... but it would only be allowed to be access at the highest levels or else their workers would never get anything done.

Possibly. I wouldn't know I hold my hands up to being ignorant how the whole thing works. I'd like to think though if google did take an idea, technology or portion of code from anyone they alert them that they've taken it. Again, I'm unsure how this would all work or whether google would even alert said-person they took anything from their works.

I suppose if you wanted to look at the positives. Perhaps they notice a talented developer by viewing their works and end up offering them a job and prosperous career.

Top Bottom