Google Chrome site corruption requiring clearing browsing data?

NealC

I only seem to experience this with XenForo sites including XenForo.com just now. I use Google Chrome on various machines including Windows and Mac. It seems something gets corrupted when switching platforms and something is syncing maybe website data, not sure. I have to go to the clear browsing data area to delete all and then refresh the page for it to render again properly. Anyone else experiencing this? Concerns me that it may happen to less techie users and they won't use the site.

I use Chrome on 6 different devices and have not encountered that on multiple XF sites.

I only seem to experience this with XenForo sites including XenForo.com just now. I use Google Chrome on various machines including Windows and Mac. It seems something gets corrupted when switching platforms and something is syncing maybe website data, not sure. I have to go to the clear browsing data area to delete all and then refresh the page for it to render again properly. Anyone else experiencing this? Concerns me that it may happen to less techie users and they won't use the site.
Can you post some screenshots?
does it give you this error code> Error code: RESULT_CODE_HUNG

No error code, just a mess of a layout with just links all over, no images, etc. Seems the CSS is corrupt.

Try deleting the profile completely from Chrome and creating it/logging in again.

I have "Sync Everything" ON in Google Chrome. I wonder if something is syncing that shouldn't be that's causing this.

No error code, just a mess of a layout with just links all over, no images, etc. Seems the CSS is corrupt.
One possibility is that it's not corrupted CSS, rather CSS that never made it to the user's browser.

Looks like you are using Cloudflare, so one thing to check is if you have your site's Security Level set to anything other than Essentially Off (it's not necessary with XenForo).

The Security Level setting basically will add challenges to HTTP requests as it sees fit. It can be problematic when those challenges are added to an HTTP request that isn't an actual HTML page (image, CSS, JavaScript, AJAX, etc.) In the case of CSS, the user's request for the CSS results in an HTML page asking them if they are a robot... the end result is they didn't get any actual CSS because they never saw the prompt.

Cloudflare's Security Level is more for terribly coded sites that for whatever reason you can't fix the underlying security issues with it. For XenForo it simply causes problems and isn't something that's needed.

1695487660064.webp

Thank you. It is set to Essentially Off. But as mentioned, even when coming to this site today (XF) it happened here.

Thank you. It is set to Essentially Off. But as mentioned, even when coming to this site today (XF) it happened here.
Well, you can't control this site's Cloudflare settings. If it's something happening on a relatively consistent basis, maybe browser with Chrome's DevTools window open so if it happens again, you can look at the CSS HTTP request. At least then you could see if you are getting actual valid CSS or something else.

If it's just you (your users aren't complaining about it), maybe your ISP has some inline proxy stuff that's screwing things up or you are going though a VPN/Tor node that's mucking with HTTP requests. You should be able to narrow it down to what the common denominator is... just you, just a specific browser, just a specific device/computer, just a specific ISP, etc. and then go from there.

It's not something I've seen on this site or any others.

Top Bottom