1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Chrome Security Issue that everyone knows about

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lazer, Aug 7, 2013.

1. lazer

lazer Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    Digital Doctor likes this.
  2. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Thought that was common knowledge. Same "security hole" is available in the other major browsers too. Just go to the preferences or options menu and look for saved passwords.
  3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I would file this in the "Non news" thread on my site.
    Amaury and Jeremy P like this.
  4. ijeffers

ijeffers Active Member

Ok, I see the issue, but people should be aware of this anyway. Exactly the same is possible in Firefox (and presumably others) without issue.

The only reason I can see a big hooha being made of it is because it's Google.
    Amaury likes this.
  5. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

6. James

James Well-Known Member

It's not a security hole at all, I thought this was common knowledge! My colleague was away 3 weeks ago and I went into her saved passwords at work to find a password for creditsafe. It came in handy to have that function available.
    Amaury likes this.
  7. lazer

lazer Well-Known Member

"Security Hole" is a mis-nome, I agree. I didn't write the article :rolleyes:

As a piece of information, either use it, or ignore it.

Edited thread title (y)
  8. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

I love it when "journalists" write about stuff they don't have any understanding of. This practice has been around for over 10 years. Big freaking whoop.
    0xym0r0n, MattW and Amaury like this.
  9. James

James Well-Known Member

If they do create a master password to enter prior to seeing the saved passwords, is it possible to save the master password? :whistle:
    Slavik likes this.
  10. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

This is just stupid.

A [Show] button ?
    This is a massive security hole.

+Confirmed for Firefox.

Absolutely crazy.
    Wonder if you can [show] for Paypal.com !!
  11. Digital Doctor

I don't see an easy way to see passwords in IE7.
  12. James

James Well-Known Member

@Digital Doctor and the irony is in your screenshot it says it's built for speed, simplicity and security.

Well this just cannot be tolerated.
  13. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Its built into most modern web browsers, the mac OS X operating system... This is standard practice in a lot of places; its really not a security hole.
    Amaury likes this.
  14. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Where I work, the issue isn't with storing your passwords in your browser. The issue would by "why have you left your PC unlocked while not attended"
  15. Digital Doctor

It definitely is a massive, easily accessible security hole.

Anyone know which browsers do a better job of Password Management than Chrome and Firefox ?
  16. Jeremy

That too (at Matt). lol. But in definition of what a security hole is, this doesn't fit the criteria.

A security hole is usually accepted to be something that allows an attacker access to your information (without physically being on your machine), this isn't one. Set a password for your computer, never leave it unattended or better yet, don't use these features.
    Amaury and MattW like this.
  17. Digital Doctor

That isn't the definition of a security hole.
    And this a [show] button is massive hole in securing passwords.

At least Firefox 23 has a Master Password option.
    I'm back to Firefox until this gets fixed.
  18. Ernest L. Defoe

Ernest L. Defoe Well-Known Member

The thing is if you are the only person that uses your computer and you aren't visiting sites you shouldn't then you are safe as no one will be able to get a hold of your passwords.
  19. Digital Doctor

That's unrealistic in many computer scenarios.
    Good article

Windows registry edit to fix the Chrome passwords visible in clear text.

You should download the Secure Profile extension to add a master password for chrome.
    Link to download: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/secure-profile/eddeeogaiodnhfkingpegpmhpdiifbgh
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  20. Jeremy

A few definitions of a security hole:

This isn't a security hole. Lock your computer, don't use the features, and on public computers, manage your saved passwords to make sure you don't save any.
    Divvens and Amaury like this.