XF 2.1 Google bot "Viewing Unknown Page" and gives error for extended periods of time. Not sure why...

Brad Padgett

Okay so any idea why this is happening? Googlebots are constantly almost always viewing an unknown page and it always shows up as error.

My first thought was it was viewing pages from the previous domain owners website because it showed as error. What it does is view it with an error and about every so often it will view the unknown page without an error. What I'm thinking is the old pages it's viewing are from the old site the domain used to be used for and when it views the unknown page without an error then it's basically transitioning from the old site to my site being indexed properly.

Just hold your horses though. I need to make sure there isn't something I did wrong for this to happen. Web masters tools show all pages valid except for 13 but that's an anomaly it says so shouldn't be the reason.

Considering this has been going on for some time I'm concerned there may be actions I need to take myself. Any idea what this could be?

You could try hovering over the 'Viewing unknown page' text to see if more information is available, though it's likely you'll need to check your web server access logs to figure out exactly what they're requesting and go from there.

You could try hovering over the 'Viewing unknown page' text to see if more information is available, though it's likely you'll need to check your web server access logs to figure out exactly what they're requesting and go from there.

Which access log do you think I should check? That's actually a good idea, thanks for the input.

Is it just the ordinary error log? I could probably locate that from my webmin/virtualmin panel and go from there. Can you tell me what the error log is called?

It's specific to which web server you use, your distribution and how they package the web server, and your specific configuration. It's likely going to be somewhere in /var/log/ though. You'd have to open it and log for entries with the same IP as the bots with the error page.

It's specific to which web server you use, your distribution and how they package the web server, and your specific configuration. It's likely going to be somewhere in /var/log/ though. You'd have to open it and log for entries with the same IP as the bots with the error page.

Thank you I found it. Appreciate your help.

Top Bottom