Google and a Free Speed Test for WordPress sites

djbaxter

in memoriam 1947-2022
I just came across this free tool for evaluating page speed for WordPress sites:

One of the interesting things this site revealed about one of the sites I tested is this:

Reduce the impact of third-party code
Third-party code blocked the main thread for 380 ms

Third-party code can significantly impact load performance. Limit the number of redundant third-party providers and try to load third-party code after your page has primarily finished loading.

Third-PartyTransfer SizeMain-Thread Blocking Time
Google CDN305054236.78
Google/Doubleclick Ads477490147.63
Google Tag Manager91816
Google Fonts43988
Other Google APIs/SDKs30820
Google Analytics21394

Notice anything about this table?

That's right. They are all Google. The same Google that keeps pushing us to reduce page load speeds. :)

I mean, it's actually not that funny in some regards, but the irony of Google pushing us to use more of their tools thereby affecting the load speeds that Google tells us we are supposed to reduce has to at least get a smile or two.

Jagged Little Pill GIF by Alanis Morissette

I just came across this free tool for evaluating page speed for WordPress sites:

One of the interesting things this site revealed about one of the sites I tested is this:

Reduce the impact of third-party code
Third-party code blocked the main thread for 380 ms

Third-party code can significantly impact load performance. Limit the number of redundant third-party providers and try to load third-party code after your page has primarily finished loading.

Third-PartyTransfer SizeMain-Thread Blocking Time
Google CDN305054236.78
Google/Doubleclick Ads477490147.63
Google Tag Manager91816
Google Fonts43988
Other Google APIs/SDKs30820
Google Analytics21394

Notice anything about this table?

That's right. They are all Google. The same Google that keeps pushing us to reduce page load speeds. :)
That's one of the worst things about Google. They want us to reduce page loads (or downrank our site) but most of the load originates from their scripts.

What can we do?

That's one of the worst things about Google. They want us to reduce page loads (or downrank our site) but most of the load originates from their scripts.

What can we do?
Nothing.

Google's motto used to be, "Do no evil.".

They are so big now they've dropped that. (True.)

Their new motto is, "Do whatever the **** we want. Oh, and do as we say, not as we do." (Not verified as True but True based on their actions.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom