Lack of interest Google Analytics web property ID (PWA)

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

frm

From what I can tell, it looks like you can track PWA usage. However, it's recommended to have a different property.

Could we get "Google Analytics web property ID (PWA)" and then the proper coding implemented for tracking PWA?

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Where's that recommendation?

Aside from blogs interpreting it, I went straight to the source here:
A property is a website, mobile application, or device (e.g., a kiosk or point-of-sale device.) An account can contain one or more properties.
From what I gathered from blogs, PWA has a different method to track by using a service worker.
When it comes to PWAs, there’s an additional element: the service worker. It resides between the server and browser, adding a new layer of background functionality to mimic app-like features (e.g., push notifications for food-delivery status from a restaurant website).
In essence, a service worker is a client-side JavaScript file that’s added to your codebase.
Source: https://cxl.com/blog/progressive-web-apps/

So, it looks like something could potentially be missing from XF's PWA?

So, it looks like something could potentially be missing from XF's PWA?
Service workers and PWA are different things, a user doesn't need to be utilising PWA to utilise service workers.

I wouldn't be using a seperate GA property to track PWA usage, it's still the same property but just viewed differently (eg. browser, PWA, AMP, etc.)

I wouldn't be using a seperate GA property to track PWA usage, it's still the same property but just viewed differently (eg. browser, PWA, AMP, etc.)
From Google, it suggests a separate property for a webpage and an app. I'm just passing it along that we should follow standards as Xenforo has never deviated from that. This probably makes organization easier to implement different views for an app for tracking purposes. Say, you want to track XFRM separately from the forum, you could do so with a different view under the app property.

tOT3pxDi8e_uAQ1YEm8_q4x8N7SquUMF6XF8P72oo82NgCxk4EkN40qomHl52fqh4KlW=w1000

A PWA and a native app are not the same thing. A PWA is just a different way of presenting webpages.
The blogs would still state that PWA should be treated as separate property. Also, since it should have a service worker, that component might be missing to report each action that is taken (page views, etc.). I'm not too certain what XF has set up for a service worker to report in the PWA. However, the PWA should be on another property or you are mixing PWA and web visits into one. You can only use utm_source for very few things as opposed to a new property, I think. I would need clarification on this as it is new to me and I am only going by what blogs and Google suggest.

There isn't a 100% reliable way to determine if a certain request originated "from the browser" or "from the PWA", see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41742390/javascript-to-check-if-pwa-or-mobile-web
Especially if a PWA is launched with display-mode browser (XenForo by default does not do that, but it would be possible) there is no way to distinguish between "PWA" and "Browser".

So as there is no reliable way to detect this, it isn't even possible to reliably use a different property ID for "PWA usage".

If a certain amout of false attribution would be acceptable, it would be just a matter of a template modification to switch between property IDs.

Top Bottom