XF 2.2 Google AdSense anchor ads covering the scroll-to-top on desktop

BikeGremlin

Happy holidays everyone.

This is nothing urgent, can wait - it all works basically, this is just a "touch-up" question. :)

On mobile, AdSense anchor ads cover the sticky-menu on the top.
That is good (or, the-least-bad option if you like).
There's very little screen space on a mobile, so one must make a compromise.

However, on desktop, the anchor ads are at the bottom.
And they cover the XenForo scroll to top/bottom buttons.

Is there a way to make those buttons stay above the AdSense anchor ads on desktop?
Preferably without messing up how the mobile pages look and work. :)

Example page from my forum:
https://www.bikegremlin.net/threads/is-there-more-than-one-freehub-body-that-fits-shimano-11-speed-xt-cassettes.76/

Relja

I'm curious,

what does your traffic look like? If it was me, I'd worry about building my forum, community, traffic, content. And after that maybe put up some advertisements. The way your advertisements are presented is most likely driving away traffic.

I'm curious,

what does your traffic look like? If it was me, I'd worry about building my forum, community, traffic, content. And after that maybe put up some advertisements. The way your advertisements are presented is most likely driving away traffic.

Not disputing but asking:
Would you care to elaborate how the ads could be driving people away?

I tested to confirm they aren’t getting in the way on mobile and desktop.

What in particular do you find problematic?

My fixing problematic website ads based on visitor feedback:

Relja

There's a difference in being a webmaster: 1. makes a website from their passion. 2. makes a website to make money.

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with making a few bucks along the way but make sure your methods aren't driving away people. Your ads are too much repetitive. Making me think you're in it for the money. While there's little to no content. So, build out first, then supply ads.

Don't take this the wrong way, no offense meant. :) Happy holidays.

There's a difference in being a webmaster: 1. makes a website from their passion. 2. makes a website to make money.

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with making a few bucks along the way but make sure your methods aren't driving away people. Your ads are too much repetitive. Making me think you're in it for the money. While there's little to no content. So, build out first, then supply ads.

Don't take this the wrong way, no offense meant. :) Happy holidays.

Not in the least - feedback helps me improve.

Do any ads get in the way of reading and navigation? I.e. is the ads being repetitive the only problem?

I'm curious,

what does your traffic look like?

To answer this question:

Traffic is pretty low (for) now. Though I'm not worried about that in the least (why I built the forum). My priority is to make the forum easy to use & navigate (and search for information). So, I don't want ads to be getting in the way of that.

At the same time, I want to show automated ads (AdSense in this case - my AdSense experience so far). In my experience over the past 5 years, automated ads, even when placed "sparingly," are enough to cover all the hosting and software license costs. The more traffic there is, the more revenue there is - and vice-versa.

While I like sharing knowledge and information, I don't like the idea of having to pay out of my own pocket in order to do so. :) That's why I'm running ads right from the start, and folks who don't like those will either use adblocker or not use the forum at all, and that's fine by me.

So, for as long as ads don't interfere with the forum's use, they're good as far as I'm concerned. The anchor advert covering the top/bottom scroll button on desktop is interfering. I would rather see if it's possible to fix the button's position, than remove that ad, but I'll go with what's possible (and simple enough) to do.

Edit:
I see what you mean by the repetitive ads. It does look funny. Moved the AdSense in-page advert "density" slider to about 5% (it was set to about 10-15%). Will see how it fares:

AdSense in-article advert settings

Traffic stats according to Cloudflare:

BikeGremlin forum Cloudflare traffic stats

Relja

Last edited:
Top Bottom