1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Google: Adding a Sitemap and a robots.txt file

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Blake Jones, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Blake Jones

Blake Jones Member

Right now, I'm trying to get Google to index my website. Apparently, you need a Sitemap and a robots.txt file. I've read the "Google Webmaster Guidelines," however, I'm not sure how to create either file, nor am I sure how to implement both files.

Does anyone know any good suggestions/guides/websites for creating both a sitemap and a robots.txt, as well as implementing them into the Xenforo Website.

Just a word of caution: I'm a beginner to Xenforo, so if you do decide to suggestion something, please spell it out very simply.

Thank you for all of the help. Have a great day :)

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

A sitemap isn't required, although others will claim otherwise.

A robots.txt file must be uploaded to your web root.
    It will be something like this: http://xenforo.com/robots.txt

3. Blake Jones

Blake Jones Member

So if I was creating a robots.txt file, I would just create a new page, set the address to robots.txt, and put a modified body in the page?

4. Blake Jones

Blake Jones Member

And by created a robots.txt file, would this allow Google to crawl my website successfully?

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Just create it as a .txt file on your computer, then upload it via FTP.

6. gunnerit

gunnerit New Member

And locate file robots.txt at public_html. You try to access it via link yourdomain.com/robots.txt, if you can read the content inside then google can.