Google +1

I like it, but it's getting a little crazy having the same redundant feature across multiple platforms.

You know what would be cool? If someone designed something that was just one button that would add any Likes, +1's, Diggs, etc across all the platforms you choose to be set in your settings somewhere.

Maybe call it a cross pollination feature.

hmm its kind of scary to think what bots will do with this for there sites O_O
They probably have something in place, but the feature is rather stupid in the first place. I don't many people who spend anymore time than they have to on result pages, and I don't really see it having wide usage.

With Google being #1 .... err... strike that #2 (Facebook became #1 this year).... It would be wise to add some incorporation on a user level (not just web page tracking) from Google. +1 would be just like how XenForo has Facebook recommends buttons or Twitter's tweet buttons.

Naturally, we should have the option to turn it off for those who may not want to use it though.

It will be abused... without doubt. Marketers will employ thousands of poorer persons to target it... let alone what people will be doing with bots automatically, getting their client sites rated higher when sorted using this function.

It will be abused... without doubt. Marketers will employ thousands of poorer persons to target it... let alone what people will be doing with bots automatically, getting their client sites rated higher when sorted using this function.
Certainly that could happen.
Of course, people said the same thing about adsense or banner ads in general.
I think Google's doing OK with adsense.

You don't search for a website via Facebook or Twitter!!!

Adsense was abused... massively actually. It broke a lot of companies initially, who had to stop using it due to fraudulent abuse of clickthroughs. Google are much better at detection now, yes... not quite the same thing though, ads and affecting free listings. If you can search by recommendations, then it will be abused. If not, then there is little point.

It might give some "little" sites/companies an extra edge though ... their fans/customers can show their appreciation and hopefully put them under a bit of a spotlight?

I'm sure it'll be abused initially, and there will always be the online marketeers who will try to leverage anything to get more clicks, but it may work in favour of the little guys if there's some form of IP tracking/filtering.

OTOH it may just be a total flop and people won't use it?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

With Google being #1 .... err... strike that #2 (Facebook became #1 this year).... It would be wise to add some incorporation on a user level (not just web page tracking) from Google. +1 would be just like how XenForo has Facebook recommends buttons or Twitter's tweet buttons.

Naturally, we should have the option to turn it off for those who may not want to use it though.

The whole Facebook being the #1 website in the US in terms of traffic is slightly unfair. Hitwise only compared Google Search and not the rest of Google's services, imagine including Gmail, Blogger, YouTube and the rest of the Google portfolio.

Back on topic, I kind of like the idea. It brings more social aspect (though minor) to search, if somebody who isn't web-savvy saw that 1,234 people 'liked' a certain result, they would most likely follow it up. Of course it could be abused but we know Google's track record when it comes to finding ways to stop abuse from happening.

Top Bottom