GoodForNothing Add-on Core [Deleted]

Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes submitted a new resource:

GoodForNothing Add-on Core (version 1.0.0 Beta) - The required 'Core' add-on for our upcoming add-ons.

NOTE:
This is an encoded program and you will be needing ionCube Loader, which is available on most web servers, so it shouldn't be a problem.

NOTICE:
You are not allowed to redistribute, reversed engineer this software... There's a reason for encoding the files ;)

Introduction
This add-on is the 'mother-ship' of our upcoming add-ons (premium and some of the...

Read more about this resource...

Can you give us a little more information on what is upcoming?
The only 'upcoming' feature is that we will add 'One-click upgrader' that is, you can upgrade any add-on developed by us by simply clicking on a link (which will be available on your ACP), this add-on will fetch the latest version from our server and automatically upgrade the add-on by automatically copying the files from the archive and importing the xml file...

The only 'upcoming' feature is that we will add 'One-click upgrader' that is, you can upgrade any add-on developed by us by simply clicking on a link (which will be available on your ACP), this add-on will fetch the latest version from our server and automatically upgrade the add-on by automatically copying the files from the archive and importing the xml file...

Kinda Wordpress-like ?

So it informs me that there are new GFN addons, and it auto-upgrades GFN addons . . . What addons does GFN offer?

Why would you impose a php 5.3 requirement on an addon for software which does not? Php 5.3 only introduces features that are essentially nice-to-haves for programmers, I personally prefer to use it as well but I really don't understand why you would want to impose the requirement for an addon.

Additionally I have to question the reasoning behind making an addon dependency which should be manually installed by your users before they are able to use your other addons. If everyone would do this addons would become an absolute mess. Why not simply package your "core" along with your addons, and create the logic to easily defer inner workings to one central core if multiple of your addons are installed.

I'm not a fan of the trend developers are coming up with to create a separate framework for their own addons, XenForo is perfectly able of facilitating the process of addon development. If you find some steps too tedious I invite you to use and help develop XenForo-CLI, but to impose such functionality upon your end-users and require their servers to do additional processing for the purpose of making your development easier is just a bit much in my opinion. Again, if all developers would do this (and it's getting to that point) then addons would become a mess.

I don't intend to be mean or anything, I completely respect your work as a developer. Hopefully I'm just providing some constructive criticism and I invite you to rebute because maybe there's something I'm just missing.

Why would you impose a php 5.3 requirement on an addon for software which does not? Php 5.3 only introduces features that are essentially nice-to-haves for programmers, I personally prefer to use it as well but I really don't understand why you would want to impose the requirement for an addon.
Yes I noticed that (misconfiguration in the ionCube encoder), I was going to update the files...

Additionally I have to question the reasoning behind making an addon dependency which should be manually installed by your users before they are able to use your other addons. If everyone would do this addons would become an absolute mess. Why not simply package your "core" along with your addons, and create the logic to easily defer inner workings to one central core if multiple of your addons are installed.
good point :D

I'm not a fan of the trend developers are coming up with to create a separate framework for their own addons, XenForo is perfectly able of facilitating the process of addon development. If you find some steps too tedious I invite you to use and help develop XenForo-CLI, but to impose such functionality upon your end-users and require their servers to do additional processing for the purpose of making your development easier is just a bit much in my opinion. Again, if all developers would do this (and it's getting to that point) then addons would become a mess.
Well, the main functionality of this add-on is to check for new versions and auto-upgrade (something like what wordpress does). Now if I add the same thing to every add-on I create don't you think the files will be 'bloated'. That's why I created this add-on: a central 'hub' with which all of the add-ons can communicate with our server instead of communication with the server with their individual 'classes'.

I don't intend to be mean or anything, I completely respect your work as a developer. Hopefully I'm just providing some constructive criticism and I invite you to rebute because maybe there's something I'm just missing.
No problem, I actually need these kinda criticism as I am new to script development (just started learning PHP a few months ago) :)

Well, the main functionality of this add-on is to check for new versions and auto-upgrade (something like what wordpress does). Now if I add the same thing to every add-on I create don't you think the files will be 'bloated'. That's why I created this add-on: a central 'hub' with which all of the add-ons can communicate with our server instead of communication with the server with their individual 'classes'.

I don't think anyone would actually want their addons to auto-upgrade, having the ability to "automatically" upgrade (when a user manually chooses to do so) would be very nice but this functionality should be offered by XenForo itself in my opinion, regardless if you are to offer it I don't see why it should be mandatory and require a separate addon to be installed.

As for it being bloated, this would take up "maybe" 50kb of disk-space (if that), I don't think anyone would care. You are imposing additional manual installation steps and a potentially undesirable feature to save a few kb of disk space.

Again I don't meant to sound harsh or anything, I know that when you just start out programming an entire world opens and you think you can do everything, and technically - you can. But it all costs time and you don't live long enough to develop every idea that pops into your head. Pick something to work on and work on it with full attention rather than scattering your work all over the place.

Also, I know it's very tempting to say "this doesn't work the way I want it to, I will re-develop it in a way that is 100x better", you have to again consider what you want to spend your time on and whether it's really worth re-developing a solution just to get a certain feature. Do you really need that feature? Are there better (faster) ways of going about getting that feature without deferring you from your actual project too much?

I would strongly recommend you re-evaluate how much of what you are doing is worth the trouble, and that you implement it in a way that it does not needlessly inconvenience your end-users.

I don't think anyone would actually want their addons to auto-upgrade, having the ability to "automatically" ...
okay man, you convinced me... :P
I'll redo the things and remove the dependencies... but if some one want to enable auto upgrade he/she can install it... right? :D

btw, by auto-upgrade I dont mean totally auto, user have to click the 'upgrade' button ;)

okay man, you convinced me... :p
I'll redo the things and remove the dependencies... but if some one want to enable auto upgrade he/she can install it... right? :D

btw, by auto-upgrade I dont mean totally auto, user have to click the 'upgrade' button ;)

That does sound nice, it's definitely a nice feature to give for your addons, but in my opinion it should be optional and not "require" your users to install an additional addon just to use the addon that they are intending to use. But it sounds like that's what you're going to do, so kudos to you :)

I have a question....

I have the Xensocialize Add-on, am I going to have to install this to continue to get updates on that add-on?

When ever I attempt to install this I get:

Fatal error:
The encoded file /home/mysite/public_html/library/GFNCoders/TheCore/Helper/Installer.php has expired. in Unknown on line 0

I have a question....

I have the Xensocialize Add-on, am I going to have to install this to continue to get updates on that add-on?
not at this moment, and as I said in here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/goodfornothing-add-on-core.34943/#post-397436 I'll be removing the dependencies :)
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-975618.html

encryption doesn't 100% guarantee protection of your scripts - people still null/pirate Microsoft software. It also scares away a good portion of you potential customer base.

If I like something, I'm going to pay you for it (even if it's free), pirates will find a way to use it regardless.
and that's why I removed the encoding ;)

It now says:
Code:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_called_class() in /home/mysite/public_html/library/GFNCoders/TheCore/Helper/Installer.php on line 12

Top Bottom