Golden version (built-in most popular add-ons) Discussion

Or alternatively, anyone is free to just install the two add-ons separately.

I fail to see what benefit there is rolling both of those up into one add-on, considering they are completely unrelated.
The addons being unrelated is the issue to resolve. It incurs addon conflicts & addon incompatibility. Rolling multiple addons into one release would mean combining the functionality or at least would be an incentive for addon developers to take the functionality of the package into account. This could allow blogs or groups to be tagged, groups to be added to a sitemap, add privacy functionality to only let friends see your blog, show gallery images in groups, etc.

I would not expect a combined addon to become a reality though. I think its a temporarily problem that will be resolved as XF adds most of the basics to the core or releases official addons.

There's nothing to stop the authors of those add-ons to package their add-ons together, call it a "titanium add-on solution", and charge $200 for it. No reason for the core xenforo to take that $$$.

Introducing a system like this would also cause a level of perceived favoritism; just like it would if we used the featured resources that are in the RM. It would also be a full time job for someone to sit down and do code review to make sure everything is up to par and not introducing security holes into the software.

I agree, and I would probably be one of the ones speaking out (although, in saying that, I can't say how well developed my addons are - although I know there aren't any security holes in them).

Fairness is key, and stuff like this just wouldn't really be fair (at least in my mind)...

Yeah, I've personally never seen any paid forum platform packaged like this. I have seen it with some free platforms, so you have, for example, a phpBB platinum package out there that includes some of the most popular mods and styles, but that of course is a whole different animal. With a paid platform, it would require the developers to package it themselves, and for all the reasons already pointed out it just wouldn't be practical and so will almost certainly never happen. Sorry, OP. ;)

I have seen a few addon developers offer a vbulletin golden version. It gained some traction but I don't think it was successful. Simply because everyone has different needs. But they created it as the package suited the needs of their website. It was useful for those with the same needs.

I would like to explain some of the difficulties that I have faced myself when I moved from VB to XenForo
I started with XenForo almost 5 months ago and I think the version at that was 1.1.15. Anyway since that time I keep adding so many Add-ons. Most of them were very necessary to my community and some the community's members were pushing me to add them. I am not an expert person and therefore I lost a lot of time by reading and insulating these add-ons.

My suggestion to you guys
Why do not you have an agreement with these great programmers who are contributing to xenForo.
I know it's very difficult but at least the most common add-on to be pre-installed (default) in one of the coming versions and call it the golden version:) and make it an optional copy for at least $ 200.
Good idea. Never give up.

This: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/featured-resources-of-xenforo.60300/

Lead to this: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/featured

I have seen a few addon developers offer a vbulletin golden version. It gained some traction but I don't think it was successful. Simply because everyone has different needs. But they created it as the package suited the needs of their website. It was useful for those with the same needs.

Exactly what I'd expect. And I don't see how that would work with Xenforo, in any case, since you have to wait so many months to transfer a license. How would a third-party be able to sell a bundled package, unless they were stockpiling previously purchased licenses? Guess people could package an addon-only bundle, provided addon developers gave their consent, but....

its likely that the most common, useful resources will get rolled into XF code at one time or another. same thing apple did. look at how many Flashlight apps in the app store have now been rendered useless with the inclusion of the flashlight feature in iOS 7.

please stay the course XF team. adding in a bunch of mods that arent up to your dev standards will compromise the integrity of your product, and open attack vectors ala vB 4/5 and have us screwed.

Top Bottom