God Speed, Major Winters.

Edrondol

I posted this on my own site but it needs to be said everywhere.

There are times when people announce the passing of famous people here. Usually the reactions rage from saddened to ennui. For the second time I'm announcing the death of someone who is not only a hero, but someone who epitomizes the American spirit.

Major **** Winters has passed away at the age of 92.

He actually died January 2, but the family wanted to wait until after the service to make the announcement. For those of you who do not know, Major Winters was the leader of Easy Company, immortalized in the mini-series "Band of Brothers". An unknown person, the books and subsequent movie catapulted he and his men into the limelight, which they handled with grace, elegance and an honest humbleness never seen these days.

It's not often that an announcement of someone passing having an effect on me, especially when I don't know them personally. But this one hit me.

God speed, Major Winters. May you finally have the rest you have so surely earned.

It's men (and women) like Maj.Winters that brought this world back from the brink. One can only hope and pray that if the world ever needs their likes again, we will find them in our midst.

Top Bottom