Gmail Addresses + Repeat Offenders

NickH

How do people weed out troublemakers who just create loads of free gmail accounts? I can't ban them because a lot of people use them but it's also easy to just create a new one and sign up with a different IP.

How do people weed out troublemakers who just create loads of free gmail accounts? I can't ban them because a lot of people use them but it's also easy to just create a new one and sign up with a different IP.
Highly recommend Xon's Addon: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/signup-abuse-detection-and-blocking.6812/

We use this to block out trouble networks via ASx ID's and it moderates duplicate accounts when trying the Gmail period (.) tricks.
The AS block works wonders since most of the problematic accounts come from the usual suspects. The addon is highly complex, but once configured to your specific needs, it cuts down on so much administrative work.

You could try wildcarding the gmail.com part of the email address in banned email addresses.
it would look like "*@gmail.com"

I have the Xon addon already.

The issue I have is that they seem to be using 4G and moving around so I can't IP block or AS block.

The emails don't have dots in either, they are all like "billydavies675@gmail.com", "iansmith6433@gmail.com".
The problematic spammers aren't using a wireless tech (usually). We rarely see a spam account coming from a wireless network, it's always some transit or faux-vpn network. Some of the default ones in Xon's addon catch a bunch, but we beefed it up to be more stringent. Sorry you're having problem, but I think you probably just need some additional fine tuning to discourage those bad actors.

They aren't automated spammers as such, this is somebody who was banned trying to get back on.
Oh, I see. In that case, I'd just let them on and setup the discourage option with something truly annoying. :D

Reactions: FTL
GMail allows emails to have periods in them, so your banning periods will result in guaranteed false positives.
There are no false positives.
The rule is clear: Can not register with dot(s) in the gmail email address' username part.

I have the Xon addon already.

The issue I have is that they seem to be using 4G and moving around so I can't IP block or AS block.

The emails don't have dots in either, they are all like "billydavies675@gmail.com", "iansmith6433@gmail.com".
The Multi-account detection settings in Xon's addon have worked nearly flawlessly for me.

CHECK always check banned members
OR detection method
CHECK check cookie
cookie lifespan: 24 months

Top Bottom