• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Global Email Notices to Admins and Moderators

Gene Steinberg

In vBulletin, you can configure an Administrator and Moderator privileges to receive email notices for ALL posts, not just the ones you've subscribed to. I cannot see a way to do this in XF. If there is, feel free to ignore this.

So is there a way to do this as an add-on? Or is such a feature pending in XF?

Inquiring minds want to know.

My only concern is that, if I understand the information about the add-on correctly, it only supports the old rather than new email format, which may make it less suitable for 1.1. But I suppose the developer can update.

On the other hand, this is functionality that should be part of XF, rather than depend on add-on developers to produce it.

My only concern is that, if I understand the information about the add-on correctly, it only supports the old rather than new email format, which may make it less suitable for 1.1. But I suppose the developer can update.

On the other hand, this is functionality that should be part of XF, rather than depend on add-on developers to produce it.
To me, that seems to functionality carried over from several years ago, when the forums actually needed it and the moderators needed the email to get up to date about the new posts.

These days .. just subscribe to the RSS feed, it's fast, and that's it, I don't see why an addon for that is needed if there is equivalent functionality that can help you achieve the same thing in a more modern way, some email clients even let you configure an RSS feed as if it were an account

Sorry you're totally wrong about this. RSS feeds from this board are limited to titles. They would need to display the entire HTML-formatted text to compensate, and you shouldn't need to worry about an RSS client as you move from your Mac or PC to a mobile device.

With our vB forum (forum.theparacast.com), which we hope to migrate to XF in a few weeks, we get 50-300 messages a day. So it's a medium-sized board. My four moderators and I receive email notices of every post, with all text. We don't have to sit on the board and wait for messages to arrive, so we can go about our business and still handle critical board matters. If a post is informational, we just read it and go to the next. If it requires admin action or a response, we can act appropriately.

With an IMAP email account, assuming the server supports the Idle command, messages arrive almost as soon as they are posted. I can't imagine a more efficient way to keep tabs on a forum. Some of us have day jobs, although my sites and two weekly radio shows are my day jobs.

Understand that I have worked on message systems since the 1980s, when I was a frequenter of newsgroups. I also worked as a salaried forum leader for AOL for a number of years. I've established forums running SMF, MyBB, phpBB, vB, and now XF, not to mention a few free hosted services. I think I know my way around this game. I welcome better ideas, but I think getting fully-formatted email notices of all posts (which should be an option for board moderators and admins in XF, but an improved version of this add-on will fill the bill) is the most effective way to keep tabs on what's going on.

Sorry you're totally wrong about this. RSS feeds from this board are limited to titles. They would need to display the entire HTML-formatted text to compensate, and you shouldn't need to worry about an RSS client as you move from your Mac or PC to a mobile device.

With our vB forum (forum.theparacast.com), which we hope to migrate to XF in a few weeks, we get 50-300 messages a day. So it's a medium-sized board. My four moderators and I receive email notices of every post, with all text. We don't have to sit on the board and wait for messages to arrive, so we can go about our business and still handle critical board matters. If a post is informational, we just read it and go to the next. If it requires admin action or a response, we can act appropriately.

With an IMAP email account, assuming the server supports the Idle command, messages arrive almost as soon as they are posted. I can't imagine a more efficient way to keep tabs on a forum. Some of us have day jobs, although my sites and two weekly radio shows are my day jobs.

Understand that I have worked on message systems since the 1980s, when I was a frequenter of newsgroups. I also worked as a salaried forum leader for AOL for a number of years. I've established forums running SMF, MyBB, phpBB, vB, and now XF, not to mention a few free hosted services. I think I know my way around this game. I welcome better ideas, but I think getting fully-formatted email notices of all posts (which should be an option for board moderators and admins in XF, but an improved version of this add-on will fill the bill) is the most effective way to keep tabs on what's going on.

I still don't see why this should be a standard feature, your specific use case seems like that, specific. Looks to me you want to manage a forum without the hassle of even opening it

It's called efficiency. Try it some time. :)
I am sorry, but I still don't think your method is the one-solution. Please just take that as my opinion, I had no intentions of insulting your methods, I am just plainly disagreeing because I see no value in them. They might be valuable to you, that's ok.

I still don't think that is needed in the core product, or that everyone should manage their site like that. But hey, this is the addon-requests of course.

If you have time on your hands, fine. But don't forget this is a standard function on vB. I'd think if you can get a task done in less time, you'd welcome the opportunity. But that's just me.

Top Bottom