Getting You don't have permission to access /community/admin.php on this server error when installing addons

meadwench2

OK, I've been reading posts here that indicate that turning off mod_security can fix this issue of getting the no permisson error, but I turned it off for the domain (at Cpanel), and went to install a new addon, and same error. I've seen several posts saying 'ask your hosting provider', but mine will basically say 'we don't know what it might be doing, figure it out'.

I have a VPS, and a lot of control at WHM and Cpanel level, can someone point me to a particular thing to look for, since turning off mod_sec at the domain level isn't working? I'm not averse to mucking about trying to fix this first, and while I'd like to change hosts, timewise I'm not in a position to do that for at least a month, and I'm in the middle of moving my forum to XF, so I'd love to fix this and then switch over at the end of my next month cycle, so I don't throw away the money I've paid for my hosting ($200/mo for a VPS).

On a secondary note, I'm running a number of domains with this host (Liquidweb). If anyone has a Wordpress/Xenoforo friendly host they'd like to recommend that has VPS for reasonable prices and good support (mine was, but the last year has seen a sharp downturn in support quality), I'd love to hear about them, as it looks like it's That Time again (the periodic move to a host that hasn't gone to suck yet).

Appreciate it!

On a secondary note, I'm running a number of domains with this host (Liquidweb). If anyone has a Wordpress/Xenoforo friendly host they'd like to recommend that has VPS for reasonable prices and good support (mine was, but the last year has seen a sharp downturn in support quality), I'd love to hear about them, as it looks like it's That Time again (the periodic move to a host that hasn't gone to suck yet).

I would recommend @MySiteGuy he is really easy to work with and his prices are reasonable.

He might be able to help you with the permission issue as well. ;)

I would recommend @MySiteGuy he is really easy to work with and his prices are reasonable.

He might be able to help you with the permission issue as well. ;)
Thanks, I'll check that out!

Further investigation has me thinking there might be an issue with my SSL on the permission stuff. I've got a ticket with the host, we'll see if they are less useless than they generally are.

I personally don't see SSL causing this issue. Doesn't really make sense. Sounds more like a file permissions issue to me. Are you certain the file permissions (especially of admin.php) are set correctly?

Yeah, first thing I checked was file permissions, I’ve seen that lots of times in other software. This issue with the admin.php has come up elsewhere in the forums here, and more often than not it seems it’s mod_security, and I looked at that too, turned it off, restarted, same issue.

Got an answer from my hosting tech support. Seems it was likely due to an Apache module that was enabled called mod_evasive. It is meant for mitigating Denial of Service (DOS) attacks by rate-limiting IP addresses that are making frequent requests. However, it often needs many adjustments to prevent false positives.

I haven’t gotten any permission denied errors since they adjusted it.

You’re welcome. I figure out a lot of things by researching, so I try to get any answers I discover out there so others who prefer to search first can potentially use them. I certainly had no idea to look at this module!

200$/m VPS with that kind of support is unacceptable. I would suggest you to look for other providers. I bet you will find a decent one with same specs for 50$ max.

Apologies, I had a VPS for years, got used to saying that, lol. I have a cloud dedicated server. Had to upgrade 3 months ago, I was straining my VPS. The cost for the dedicated server with the configuration I have is about average from what my research showed.

The support used to be great, before, and for a while after Liquid Web bought the company I was with, last year. And, as with all the other great hosts I’ve had over the years, the place I liked got snapped up, and after a while, support starts to get spotty. I tend to move hosts about every 5 years or so. This one is my 4th or 5th or so.

I’ll probably be looking around for a new host if this continues, but finding a good one is a long process, so not just yet.

Reactions: sbj
Top Bottom