XF 2.2 Getting the post author user_id in a custom bbcode with Callback

Lee

I have the following code:

PHP:
public static function renderChar(array $children, $option, array $tag, array $options, AbstractRenderer $renderer)
    {
        $output = trim($renderer->renderSubTree($children, $options));

$charCode = \XF::visitor()->Profile->custom_fields->CharCode;

return $renderer->wrapHtml(
            '<div style="color: ' . $charCode . '">',
            $output,
            '</div>'
        );
    }

I am looking to get the user entity of the user who is posting the message so I can load their custom_field "CharCode". At the moment I am loading the visitors value, which is not the outcome I want.

I guess I need to load the user entity by doing something like:
PHP:
$userId = $attributes;

$user = \XF::em()->find('XF:User', $userId);

to make this data available, but how do I get the user ID of the posting user to get the right entity?

This is sadly more complex than you think, as XenForo doesn't actually have the concept of an "owner" for content.

In my Advanced bbcodes pack add-on, I've got "moderator only" bb-code which needs todo the following sort of hoop jumping to extract the owning user:
PHP:
protected function populateRenderState(array $options, \XF\Entity\User &$user = null)
{
    $helperRepo = \SV\StandardLib\Helper::repo();
    $entity = $options['entity'] ?? null;
    if ($entity instanceof \XF\Mvc\Entity\Entity)
    {
        $user = $helperRepo->getUserEntity($entity);
        if ($user !== null && ($entity->isValidGetter('Content') || $entity->isValidRelation('Content')))
        {
            $user = $helperRepo->getUserEntity($entity->get('Content'));
        }
        // XFRM support, as it doesn't have a User/Content relationship...
        if ($user !== null && ($entity->isValidGetter('Resource') || $entity->isValidRelation('Resource')))
        {
            $user = $helperRepo->getUserEntity($entity->get('Resource'));
        }
    }
    else if ($this->renderer->getRules()->getSubContext() === 'preview')
    {
        $user = $options['user'] ?? null;
        if ($user !== null)
        {
            $user = $helperRepo->getUserEntity($user);
        }
    }
}

getUserEntity is from my (free) StandardLib addon
(I probably should move the "Content" and "Resource" checking code into it, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

Last edited:
You should also make sure $charCode is escaped when rendering:
PHP:
$charCode = htmlspecialchars($charCode);

'<div style="color: ' . $charCode  . '">',
    $output,
    '</div>'
);

You should also make sure $charCode is escaped when rendering:
PHP:
$charCode = htmlspecialchars($charCode);

'<div style="color: ' . $charCode  . '">',
    $output,
    '</div>'
);
Thanks @Xon - is this to ensure nobody can run any harmful code?

It is to avoid the custom field's data potentially escaping the HTML attribute and becoming a persistent HTML/javascript injection. You might have validation on data being set, but that doesn't apply to any existing data

Reactions: Lee
It is to avoid the custom field's data potentially escaping the HTML attribute and becoming a persistent HTML/javascript injection. You might have validation on data being set, but that doesn't apply to any existing data
Thanks Xon. Appreciate your help.

Reactions: Xon
That would require extending XF\BbCode\Renderer\Html and extending the getRenderedQuote method.

You can extract the user id with $source['id'] ?? $attributes['member'] null (recommend you double check, was just a quick look!) and then fetch the user and extract the custom field and push back into the $attributes argument to get passed to the template. Then use a template modification on the public:bb_code_tag_quote to inject the relevant css/html as required.

You might be able to get away with wrapping the entire results if required, but I think you'ld need to modify the bb_code_tag_quote template

Top Bottom