Getting the latest Wordpress articles into XF

vexx

As the title says, I want to display the latest x posts from WP to XF, into a sidebar widget. I've installed the Widget Framework, since everybody was advising me to and I've created a feed widget, with the WP feed. However, the widget itself looks very raw (the text is just dumped there) so my question is: Is there an addon or modification that will allow me to post this in a more stylish matter?

I've looked around the RM and didn't find anything..so I'm thinking maybe you guys know something.

ps. I hope this is the right forum to post in since it's not a direct XF problem

soo, nobody did this before? ii really need to promote my front articles within the forums and have no clue how

When you say it looks raw, do you mean the WP posts displayed in the sidebar on http://www.tesoelite.com/ (in your sig?). They actually look quite nicely formatted to me. Which WP feed did you use to generate this and how did you get the post thumbnails over (when I look at my WP feeds they are text only). I'm looking at doing a section somewhere with latest WP posts, probably not in the sidebar but in the main body.

There aren't any WP posts displayed within the sidebar of the forum atm..I'm guessing you refer to the latest posts from the WP sidebar :) When I add the WP feed to a sidebar widget, it's just an ugly display of links, that's it :)

My apologies - it's very late and I'm very tired, yes I was looking at your main site of course and not your forum.

So I am guessing in the forum widget then you use the WP RSS feed then which by default just dumps the posts title, date and excerpt hence why it looks ugly? I'm sure there must be other users here who have prettied this up?

no worries, same here..late..tired..need sleeep :P ya, I'm looking for something to pretty this up a bit. I mean it's not too hard to add some icons in front of those links but I thought that somebody else did this in a more fashionable manner :)

I'm looking at doing this too on my forum, which is why I have an interest in this. I wonder if a Javascript/jQuery method might be better, such as:

http://www.fldtrace.com/wordpress/display-latest-post-outside-of-wordpress-with-json-and-jquery

That might be easier to edit the HTML output and also the thumbnail size etc, plus include your own custom CSS.

Again I'm guessing out loud, but using a script and HTML might make this easy either to include in templates or as an HTML widget?

the idea is not bad but personally, i'm not a fan of anything anti-seo. i mean, i like my links to pass juice and be indexable..and jquery kinda kills that

Fair enough, I'm probably less interested in the SEO aspect of that part and more interested just in getting a list of latest posts, and a list I can display anywhere not just the sidebar. Also found something like http://wordpressfeeder.com/ which is more configurable, is a cut and paste job and has instructions on how to customise the CSS.

But ideally someone will advise you on how to customise the widget you're using.

Can you not use the built-in Registered Feeds, post them to a forum then use an add-on to display latest posts from that forum into a sidebar?

That's a good idea actually James because in my case I don't enable comments on my blog posts (as they are more informational articles) so a thread for posts in my forum not only publicises the main site articles, it allows members to comment on them too. Plus as you say, a latest threads add-on will show up the new content as it comes in.

Can you not use the built-in Registered Feeds, post them to a forum then use an add-on to display latest posts from that forum into a sidebar?

no..not really..instead of linking to the actualy WP post, the widget links will link to the threads

Top Bottom