Getting resource limited due to job.php causing I/O limit to be reached

Frode789

So I have a website during development, so it is barely used. (just some robots etc). Just be doing some work here and there alone.
Even so, I'm getting resource limited by my host due to job.php causing I/O limit to be reached..

1652695506698.png

Is this normal? (that high I/O usage on a barely used site).
Or is this I/O limit really low?

Last edited:
Have a look in your xf_job table and see how many outstanding jobs there are.

You should normally only have 3 jobs - cron, xfUpgradeCheck and xfCollectStats ... if there are a lot of other jobs, you may have a problem somewhere.

I looked at my busiest site and my disk IO is nowhere near the levels you're seeing:

1655071310157.webp

... the peak IO level was during the database backup window. The rest of the day, IO was peaking at no more than 500KB/s.

I have a new host now, and even here it is reaching (sometimes) the new peak of 10 MB/s even when it's not happening much on the site... Just me clicking around a bit on the different tabs. So definitely something strange here..

1655110884134.webp
You should normally only have 3 jobs - cron, xfUpgradeCheck and xfCollectStats ... if there are a lot of other jobs, you may have a problem somewhere.

Yes I only have those 3 there.

Is this on a VPS or on shared hosting?

Have you checked the web server logs? Is the site being abused by bots?

It's not swap causing the high IO is it? Do you have sufficient RAM allocated for the resources you're using?

If you have root access to your server, you could run iotop to try and identify which process is causing all of the io

Is this on a VPS or on shared hosting?

Have you checked the web server logs? Is the site being abused by bots?

It's not swap causing the high IO is it? Do you have sufficient RAM allocated for the resources you're using?

If you have root access to your server, you could run iotop to try and identify which process is causing all of the io

Shared host.

No bots, doesn't show anything strange in the logs.
Yes the server has 4 GB of RAM, so more than most shared host plans I've seen (around 1-2 GB usually). RAM is never near the limit as reported by cpanel resource usage. When I look back at the last month, all resource usage is super low (as expected with a barely used site in testing), except the I/O usage.

"swap causing high IO?" What's swap?

I have the "terminal" in cpanel where I can issue commands, is that the same? I've never used it though as I'm afraid to mess something up :p

If you are on shared hosting - is it possible that the IO is coming from other sites on the same server?

I think you should try moving to a new hosting provider.

Top Bottom