Getting a new hard drive, what kind should I get?

=MGN=RedEagle

My harddrives are all full.

Rather than buying more normal SATA drives I was thinking of getting an internal SSD. Namely: SSD 1TB

How much faster is such a drive than a normal SATA drive?

Is data transfer rate a key factor? Is 600 MBps a good DTR?

Google SSD reviews to see the latest for what you want, price and performance, performance and don't care about price, so forth.

http://www.ssdreview.com/ssd-solid-state-recommendation.html may help you.

PCI SSD smashes sata connected types. I just purchased 2 x http://amzn.to/2bn4NGf a couple of months ago... and they're amazing for sequential read / write.

Samsung are really good too... I also run those in my synology unit. Just WOW for performance in a small business network. Honestly... you're probably better off with something like an external synology unit if storage is your issue.

Samsung's 850 500GB EVO more than enough for the OS, for some large often used programs and their data.
We'll agree to disagree on that one. That is why we had to just upgrade our main SSD from half to full terabyte, because just programs installed and their associated paraphernalia, ran us out of room on both iMac's. We would be constantly trying to recover room each week just to run the systems, hence larger was needed.

Programs are so massive now... and they just keep getting bigger. Rolling updates on most software, each time they keep getting larger. All our files are external, and I honestly couldn't believe when 500gb was close to full and causing us issues just from software being used.

Google SSD reviews to see the latest for what you want, price and performance, performance and don't care about price, so forth.

http://www.ssdreview.com/ssd-solid-state-recommendation.html may help you.

PCI SSD smashes sata connected types. I just purchased 2 x http://amzn.to/2bn4NGf a couple of months ago... and they're amazing for sequential read / write.

Samsung are really good too... I also run those in my synology unit. Just WOW for performance in a small business network. Honestly... you're probably better off with something like an external synology unit if storage is your issue.
Thanks so much :D

What is the difference between PCI and SATA? How much faster is PCI? How can I know my PC will accept a PCI connection?

I am very uneducated on SSDs. All I know is they work miracles with my servers. I have 800 GB data on my main drive and 500GB of that is installed programs. I've been thinking, I need to take the leap and get my whole OS on one drive and make it hot swappable. Good idea? Bad?

Thanks so much guys! I learn a lot here!

PCIE is directly connected to your motherboard -- no cables, simply put, a bottleneck removed between it and your motherboard. Most PCIE are 2x to 4x faster than sata SSD, however; if you have a good SSD, like the ones I mentioned above that use current technologies and read / write around the 500mbps mark, then you wouldn't notice a whole lot of difference to be honest, unless your work was primarily something like 4k video production. Then you would really notice I/O between sata vs pcie connection.

There are many factors though... processor, ram, engineering quality of your board, blah blah blah....

If you just want a bigger capacity SSD, the best bet is to look on Amazon at the highly recommended ones, usually Samsung and Sandisk, read some reviews, and you will quickly find the right drive in your price range.

Hmm more clarity here. This is what I was looking for but could not get. Makes a lot of sense. So I am thinking about this hot swap idea but don't want to do something too out there. Is the SSD I mentioned any good? The benefit here is I could get 2 and potentially backup and hot-swap them. I need 1 TB if I want to put the programs I use on one drive.

I should mention I do 1080p video editing and record games. I am in need of new drives anyway and thought I would take the step up to SSD.

Top Bottom