FULL DETAILS PLEASE SELF HOSTED OR CLOUD

Depends on your needs and your experience. Me personally, with my ability on administering a Linux server, I can get MUCH more from a VPS for the same amount as the cloud service.
If one isn't familiar or comfortable with administering a server (even if it is shared and done via cPanel) then the cloud is ideal. You don't have to worry about any real core administration and can simply be a forum administrator.

Depends on your needs and your experience. Me personally, with my ability on administering a Linux server, I can get MUCH more from a VPS for the same amount as the cloud service.
If one isn't familiar or comfortable with administering a server (even if it is shared and done via cPanel) then the cloud is ideal. You don't have to worry about any real core administration and can simply be a forum administrator.

Yeah I prefer to leave the management of the sysadministration to in what better hands than the staff of Xenforo. BUT can someone give me details if over time I am able to get my head around linux it is easy to some but can be challenging for others also can be dangerous/harmful if you don't know what your doing also the best security so many tutorials, so many guides just find that right one.

Anyway i rambling do I get to keep the backup or data of my site just in case something happens. Or if am able to find someone I trust to manage the self hosted licence it self? but I think you guys offer a really good deal and I am thinking to just stick with cloud.

Last edited:
It's honestly not a bad deal for someone that is NOT knowledgable about server/web admin (even via cPanel). Once you get more familiar with Linux or even cPanel administration you could transfer to an actual VPS/server instance. You would have no problems getting your DB or any related files from the folks at XF to move over.

If I wasn't as familiar with Linux and associated admin tasks (been messing with Linux since mid 80's) I wouldn't hesitate on the cloud offering.

I second what Tracy's said above.

Note that cloud can also be useful for experienced IT admins if they've got a lot on their plate already and don't want the hassle of managing another server, the updates, backups etc. It's an expensive option, though.

In my case, I wanted self hosted, but wasn't happy with any of the packaged solutions I looked at, especially with the out of date software you get with it, so I rolled my own hosting on AWS and haven't looked back.

Note that it was a significant learning curve and effort to learn all this from scratch though and there's no handholding from AWS, only excellent online manuals, so it's definitely not for everyone. It's very satisfying now I've done it though.

I am capable of doing the admin work myself since I work in IT in my day job. And my board is so small that we would see a massive increase in costs to use XF Cloud (we pay <CA$300 a year including hosting and XF maintenance, and we have no revenue stream beyond goodwill donations). But if I was starting out new or had a revenue stream that supported it, I think Cloud is where I would go. Self-hosted can get very hands-on depending on what you are doing with it and I would rather focus on XF itself than dealing with OS and system level stuff. Get enough of that at work.

that's part of what I enjoy... but I've found the more you concentrate on trying to et your site activity up, the less time you actually have to do the "fun tweaking" on the OS end of the system.
I like tinkering with styling and formatting nodes and things like that moreso than the underlying systems. There's probably an alternate universe where I'm a web designer or something. :)

I'd steer beginners looking to self host & save money away from cpanel and toward https://centminmod.com/

The guides and community make up for any lack of GUI, and at the end of the day you'll learn much more than with a panel. Hard to believe it's free.
Yes and no..... I've been running CentMinMod for years..... and it's not that big of an issue for me as I've been mucking around with Linux since Slackware was the "in" thing. The downfall to it is that cPanel actually allows more "features" for the newbie. Getting many of them at the command prompt is not much different than back in the Windows 3.11 era and having to get users to drop to DOS to do stuff. They had NO business at that level of the OS... and I can't even count on a dozen peoples fingers and toes the time I've had to come in to "rescue" those.
NOT an area that they need to be in because it's so easy to screw up the entire base system if you inadvertently type the wrong command.... ask me how I know. o_O

As for the cost... anyone that has the honor of meeting @eva2000 needs to take him out to a VERY nice dinner/lunch at the least. To say he's benefitted the admin community would be a BIG understatement.

Note that cloud can also be useful for experienced IT admins if they've got a lot on their plate already and don't want the hassle of managing another server, the updates, backups etc. It's an expensive option, though.
That is where we are at right now. I am using a dedicated server at a managed hosting company that I have used since 1997, to host a very busy and prominent forum for its topic and subject matter. But ever since the original owner sold out the hosting company, I'm not as loyal to stay there anymore, and the old price guarantees ("free" server upgrade, no change to existing account costs, etc.) have gone by the wayside. I host other forums at DigitalOcean across three servers and have no issues at all, even with the security (which was the part that worried me the most). I could easily move this forum there, provisioning three servers to handle it.

Having XenForo Cloud host and manage that large and busy of a site is looking attractive, even with the added cost, as we'd like uptime to be as good as what we have now (which is, and has been, excellent), but have the environment be completely optimized for XenForo right out of the gate. Doing a cost comparison, though, XF's Cloud offering really isn't that much out of line for what we'd be getting in return. Given the price I was quoted, it wasn't more than maybe 10% greater than self-hosting at DigitalOcean or its competitors.

There are some server providers out there, like NFO for example… that gives you no caps - unlimited data. For $9 a month to keep the web server online.

Keep that in mind compared to the cost of cloud.

There are some server providers out there, like NFO for example… that gives you no caps - unlimited data. For $9 a month to keep the web server online.

Keep that in mind compared to the cost of cloud.
Yeah... and many of those that I found pipeline was EXTREMELY constrained. You can't give everybody full-throttle for Lemon-Aide prices.
But look.. their $10 offering compared to Digital Ocean.. guess what, It's not unlimited data.

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 11.57.42 AM.png

Even their $140 plan has a bandwidth transfer limit.

If you want their unmetered transfer... for the 480Mbps level it's an additional $40 a month on their top tier.
On the lower tier for their 60Mpbs (the max they offer) it's around $10 more a month.

Yeah... and many of those that I found pipeline was EXTREMELY constrained. You can't give everybody full-throttle for Lemon-Aide prices.
But look.. their $10 offering compared to Digital Ocean.. guess what, It's not unlimited data.

View attachment 272875

Even their $140 plan has a bandwidth transfer limit.

If you want their unmetered transfer... for the 480Mbps level it's an additional $40 a month on their top tier.
On the lower tier for their 60Mpbs (the max they offer) it's around $10 more a month.
You must be looking at the wrong order screen. There are different options for “web host” server. We pay $9 a month for unlimited speed with the pro web hosting package.

What you are referring to, was VPS ordering options and/or the game servers.

Checkout this order screen:

Last edited:
You must be looking at the wrong order screen. There are different options for “web host” server. We pay $9 a month for unlimited speed with the pro web hosting package.

What you are referring to, was the game servers.

Checkout this order screen:
Going to their main page to order a dedicated VPS (which is not a "game server"... it's a simple VPS) What you are pointing to is shared hosting.. an entirely different critter than a VPS. Pretty sure your "web hosting" won't let me install CentMin as a stack on a CentOS operating system.

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 12.50.07 PM.png

Going to their main page to order a dedicated VPS (which is not a "game server"... it's a simple VPS) What you are pointing to is shared hosting.. an entirely different critter than a VPS. Pretty sure your "web hosting" won't let me install CentMin as a stack on a CentOS operating system.

View attachment 272877

Okay well, regardless - this “shared hosting” is what I was originally refuring to. We have used this for years with various forums and websites. No issues. And unlimited data.

All I originally said, was this is an option to consider compared to cloud. We have saved a ton of funds this way, with purchasing single Xenforo license and then paying $9 a month. Still have full FTP access, unlimited storage, and amazing speeds… with all the extra bells and whistles.

That is where we are at right now. I am using a dedicated server at a managed hosting company that I have used since 1997, to host a very busy and prominent forum for its topic and subject matter. But ever since the original owner sold out the hosting company, I'm not as loyal to stay there anymore, and the old price guarantees ("free" server upgrade, no change to existing account costs, etc.) have gone by the wayside. I host other forums at DigitalOcean across three servers and have no issues at all, even with the security (which was the part that worried me the most). I could easily move this forum there, provisioning three servers to handle it.

Having XenForo Cloud host and manage that large and busy of a site is looking attractive, even with the added cost, as we'd like uptime to be as good as what we have now (which is, and has been, excellent), but have the environment be completely optimized for XenForo right out of the gate. Doing a cost comparison, though, XF's Cloud offering really isn't that much out of line for what we'd be getting in return. Given the price I was quoted, it wasn't more than maybe 10% greater than self-hosting at DigitalOcean or its competitors.
Don't go shared go cloud even better speed and what not better than go with the staff who help create xenforo to handle management.

Top Bottom