FTP upload failed transfer on Phrases and Notices php

SelfSufficientMe

Hi guys,

I uploaded XF last night to my server via FTP (FileZilla) and kept getting a persistent failed transfer on only two files Library-xenforo-route-prefixAdmin-Phrases.php & Notices.php

No amount of requeuing and retransferring would fix it. So, I tried uploading the files with FireFTP but had the same issue. At all times I ended up with both files on my server but size "0". (see image)

I thought I may have got a corrupted download of XF so I downloaded again and started completely fresh but still just those two files wouldn't upload.

My next step is just to upload these two files separately via cPanel file upload - I'll try that after I comeback from my jog.

Can anyone please shed some light on why this is happening and what I should do? Be easy on me technically - my head hurts enough already. :)

xf notices phrases.webp

What does the file health check in the ACP report?
There is no reason why those two files would constantly fail.

Try downloading the other .zip (full or upgrade) and trying again with those two files.

What does the file health check in the ACP report?
There is no reason why those two files would constantly fail.

Try downloading the other .zip (full or upgrade) and trying again with those two files.
If they're zero-byte files, I imagine the file check would fail on them anyway?

It's a strange error. Do they upload if you rename them to a different filename? Perhaps you can upload them as a .txt and change them to .php afterwards, for example?

Phew, that was a good jog. Yeah, I forgot to mention I did delete just both files and then tried uploading them but same thing happened. But then again (as I said) I deleted the whole directory too and tried a completely different FTP with a new XF download and still just those two files... I even rebooted my PC and logged out of the server.

Brogan, I have no idea where to find the ACP report sorry?

James, I tried changing them to a .txt and then uploading but I still got a "failed transfer" and ended up with Notices & Phrases .txt zero-bytes.

Therefore, I did try uploading those two files by using file manager "upload" in cPanel and it seemed to work - both are 964 bytes (instead of zero). However, is uploading via file manager like this ok do? :unsure: And, any ideas why just these two files wouldn't upload via FTP?

Thanks guys for your help.

Well, I ran the install and it didn't even run. When I checked the install folder it was empty - who knows what I've done. So the problem wasn't just notices and phrases php as I was missing lots of others.

I do know the install folder in my original download from XF (after just checking now) was in fact empty so I must have downloaded an incomplete XF package somehow right from the start - that's really strange. Surely 1.1.4 is all good so it must have got corrupted during my download somehow - never happened to me before with anything else.

I've downloaded another XF and checked the install file - it has files in it - so that's a good start, now I'm re-FTPing XP to my server.

Upload the whole lot folder by folder.
or
Upload the zip file and unzip it on the server.

Yes, that is definitely worth a go. I must admit the transfer/upload does take a long time with my connection (might be the prob) so doing it in smaller batches or unzipping on the server are great ideas and will try them if my current full upload doesn't work again. Thanks mate :)

Edit - Uploading the whole zip worked a treat! I've finally done my first XF self-install :)

Top Bottom