XF 2.0 Friendly URL's with Nginx throwing 404's

entelechy

The sites running an SSL and works fine with the configuration prior to trying to get friendly urls happening.

I followed (https://xenforo.com/help/friendly-urls/), but everything except / is throwing 404's. After every modification I've restarting nginx each time.

The server block as it stands right now:

server {

root /var/www/my-forum.com/html;

index index.php index.html;

server_name my-forum.com www.my-forum.com;

location / {
try_files $uri $uri/ /var/www/my-forum.com/html/index.php?$uri&$args;
}
location /install/data/ {
internal;
}
location /install/templates/ {
internal;
}
location /internal_data/ {
internal;
}
location /library/ {
internal;
}

location ~ \.php$ {
fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock;
include snippets/fastcgi-php.conf;
fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
include fastcgi_params;
}

location ~ /\.ht {
deny all;
}

listen [::]:443 ssl ipv6only=on; # managed by Certbot
listen 443 ssl; # managed by Certbot
ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/my-forum.com/fullchain.pem; # managed by Certbot
ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/my-forum.com/privkey.pem; # managed by Certbot
include /etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-nginx.conf; # managed by Certbot
ssl_dhparam /etc/letsencrypt/ssl-dhparams.pem; # managed by Certbot
}

Last edited:

entelechy

If anyone can see any mistakes in the code above or has experience with this same issue with Nginx x Friendly URLs I'd really appreciate any advice.

markus68

Hi,
try the php-location block first as in the docs:
location ~ \.php$ {
try_files $uri =404;
fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
include fastcgi_params;
}
(adjusting your socket-parameters).

I think the problem is with your
include snippets/fastcgi-php.conf;

-Markus

entelechy

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Adding try_files $uri =404; is not needed/possible because it's already called in include snippets/fastcgi-php.conf; (error message when adding this is:
nginx: [emerg] "try_files" directive is duplicate in /etc/nginx/snippets/fastcgi-php.conf:5

The difference between the php location block I'm using and the one in the docs that you refer to is that the docs show a setup for php-7.0 cgi only..
# # With php7.0-cgi alone:
# fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;

But I'm running PHP-fpm, hence:

fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock;

The inclusion of snippets/fastcgi-php.conf; is from setting up LEMP via digitalocean guidelines (https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...ux-nginx-mysql-php-lemp-stack-in-ubuntu-16-04).

entelechy

Or is there an incompatibility with friendly urls and fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock; + includes snippets/fastcgi-php.conf; ??

markus68

What I wanted to recommend is to first start with the clean example-configuration provided in the XF-docs and see if that works. As you run php socket-based this change will be needed.

If that works, try to adjust your settings step by step to what you have non-working right now and see where it fails.

Friendly URLs definetly work with nginx (as I am using this setup).

-Markus

entelechy

Ok I've got you. Trying to just use the block as per the docs throws a 502 for all pages.

Are you using fpm? Do you have ssl? Any chance of seeing what your block looks like for reference? I've had friendly urls working on a different Nginx text forum without issue, but there's something about this configuration that's screwing with it.

Last edited:

entelechy

Ok so I looked through the post you just referenced, and started again from the beginning of this post.

If use..

try_files $fastcgi_script_name =404; - in the PHP block, it throws a 404 error on all pages except /

try_files $uri $uri/ /var/www/my-forum.com/html/index.php?$uri&$args; - in the PHP block, it throws a 500 error on all pages except /

The errors logged when using try_files $uri $uri/ /var/www/my-forum.com/html/index.php?$uri&$args; in the PHP block are:

[error] 3643#3643: *17 rewrite or internal redirection cycle while internally redirecting to "/var/www/my-forum.com/html/index.php",
client: <ip address removed>, server: my-forum.com, request: "GET /forums/general-discussion.19/ HTTP/1.1", host: "my-forum.com", referrer: "https://my-forum.com/"

There are no errors that get logged when try_files $fastcgi_script_name =404; is used in the PHP block, there's just 404's for all non-/ pages.

I saw in your referred thread, that the problem was showthread.php in the web root - there's issue with that in this case

entelechy

Thanks for the help you provided trying to solve this Markus.

For anyone else in the same position reading this in the future, I reached out to another member here who pointed out that this line was the culprit:

"try_files $uri $uri/ /var/www/my-forum.com/html/index.php?$uri&$args;"

After shortening it to "try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$uri&$args;" friendly URL's are functioning perfectly on the site.