1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Fresh Install - Verified Correctly - 403 Forbidden Error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by majesty95, Aug 10, 2013.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

Hi guys,

I am brand new to XenForo. I used the software on a site I frequent and decided I want it for my new site as well. So, I bought it, downloaded it and installed it. Everything went smoothly and verified correctly. However, now I am getting a 403 Forbidden error.

I contacted my host and they said the issue is in the .htaccess file. They said that if I renamed it so that it wasn't read it would clear up the issue. I'm a novice to web developing so I'm not sure what to do. I know there are probably things in the .htacess that need to be there, but looking at it, it also appears there are plenty that probably do not need to be.

Here is a list of what is showing in my .htaccess. I didn't add much, if any, of the stuff in there so I'm confused. :(

Additional info:

I have two sites running on the server. mydomain.com is the "primary" and my new site "my2nddomain.com" is secondary. I have XenForo installed in a subdirectory of my2nddomain.com. When I installed, I used community.my2nddomain.com/install and everything went smoothly. However, when I go to community.my2nddomain.com now I get the 403 Forbidden error.

As an aside, I installed word press (to use for a static home page) and when I go to my2nddomain.com/wp-admin I get my2nddomain.com/not-found. I would be fine using a XenFor add on for my home page if that would help.

Its all terribly confusing to me. :oops:

Any help would be appreciated!

2. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

I didn't realize the text file would be garbled. I'll try to paste the htaccess in sections.

3. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

Here is the second part:

4. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

I think most of the rewrites came from a WordPress security plug in...

5. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

I found out that there is also not an index file for the forum. I tried to do a search but cannot find anything. If I go to community.my2nddomain.com/install it says I have already completed the install. What should the index file look like?

6. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You should have an index.php file. If you are missing it, you should reupload your files.

Brogan likes this.
  7. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

Ok, I re-installed and when I click "Enter Control Panel" I get this:

8. Jeremy

You'll need to check the server logs.

9. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

And what would I be looking for?

Also, I re-named the htaccess.txt again and I'm just getting the foleders. I'm guess it still didn't install an index.php...

10. Jeremy

You need to upload the index.php.

11. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

Where do I get it? I've installed the software twice and its not there... Doesn't XenForo have a support number or something? This is just frustrating me more. I'm not resolving anything...

12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You have pasted the .htaccess contents but those are nothing to do with XenForo.

What is in the directory where XenForo is installed?

13. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

I included the htaccess because my host said there was a script that was causing the 403 Forbidden error but they couldn't tell me which one.

XenForo 3.jpg

If I change it to htaccess.txt then I get this:

XenForo 2.jpg
    Here are the contents of the "community" subdomain folder where I installed XenForo

XenForo folder.jpg

14. Jeremy

You are missing the index.php (and other files) from the package you downloaded from the Customer Area. You need to upload it.

15. Brogan

This is what should be in the directory for a standard 1.2 installation:
    upload_2013-8-10_22-3-1.png

Jeremy likes this.
  16. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

You keep telling me that but yet don't explain how to do that. If I use the installer as directed here all I get is what is in the pic above.

17. Jeremy

You need to upload it using FTP. The same way you uploaded the installer files.

18. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

So what's causing this?

19. Brogan

If the screenshot you posted above is the complete list of files and directories, as KK has already said, you are missing files and need to upload them.

20. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

Ok, after re-reading the installation instructions, I don't remember it prompting me to save the config.php file. Where would it have stored these?