Freedom to choose

Robert9

There are many restrictions in xenforo that makes no sense from my point of view. There should be at least the option to choose:

- review own resources
Many people use the RM for quite different things than offer add-ons; some of them just collect data. Here it makes sense to write own reviews.

- watch resources
Why am I not allowed to watch my own resources?
I can understand why some people don't like that users review their own resources, but what should be wrong with watching own resources?

There are many more things like this. And every small issue is a reason to install add-ons, update add-ons, beg that there would be an update at all over time.

Upvote 3
Oh, then there is permission, an add-on? Or a problem with my site?

admin.jpg

After reassign the resource to another user, I can watch it.

And yes, here I can watch my resource also:

I have checked now some of my clients' forums, and there it is the same. Admin can't watch own resources.

Anyway ... my thread is not about this limitation, it is about all of these limitations.
Admins should be able to decide if users are allowed to rate, vote, react to own things or not.

Seems kind of weird to watch your own resource (it's not a thread that gets replies or anything). A watched resource sends alerts to people when an update is posted. So the end result of you watching your own resource would be that you get alerts when you post an update. It would kind of be like someone getting an alert whenever they posted a reply to a thread (not anyone, just them posting). Rather pointless imo... because you literally were the one that posted the update. Do you really need to be told you just did it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Seems kind of weird to watch your own resource (it's not a thread that gets replies or anything). A watched resource sends alerts to people when an update is posted. So the end result of you watching your own resource would be that you get alerts when you post an update. It would kind of be like someone getting an alert whenever they posted a reply to a thread (not anyone, just them posting). Rather pointless imo... because you literally were the one that posted the update. Do you really need to be told you just did it? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Maybe they just need validation for what they've accomplished.

Seems kind of weird to watch your own resource

A typical problem here is the view to the product as offered.
As long, you see the RM as a tool to offer add-ons for xenforo, you don't need that.
But many people try to use the RM as a database for any kind of stuff.

There are so many different scenarios to use the RM that it makes sense to have these small changes in code. We talk about five minutes work for XF, but about thousands of minutes that admins have to set up additional add-ons world-wide, including upgrades and more ...

A typical problem here is the view to the product as offered.
As long, you see the RM as a tool to offer add-ons for xenforo, you don't need that.
But many people try to use the RM as a database for any kind of stuff.

There are so many different scenarios to use the RM that it makes sense to have these small changes in code. We talk about five minutes work for XF, but about thousands of minutes that admins have to set up additional add-ons world-wide, including upgrades and more ...
His point was that watching a resource (the content type) would be redundant as it is only telling you when you (the resource owner) have updated the resource.

Yes, and my point is that there are many scenarios where you need it.
It is a question of imagination, you will not believe what people have done with the RM meanwhile.
And also it is about the way of thinking about all these rates, votes, watches, counts, comments ...

Normally we have some lines of code like:

if whatever.User.user_id = visitor.user_id,
then tell the world that we don't like this!

And everytime we have that, there should be also:

if whatever.User.user_id = visitor.user_id
AND permission=not_set
then tell the world that we dont like this!

Some fewer lines of code instead of ten more add-ons installed some thousand times.

In case a resource is managed by a team wouldn't it be nice if the owner of the resource is alerted when a team member updates the resource?
Or is it already the case even if we do not watch its own resource?

Top Bottom