Free Self-Taught Education - Play with a Linux Server

Adam Howard

I'm firm believer that people learn by doing. I know A LOT of people here would like to learn how to use a VPS or Dedicated Server without a control panel. But not everyone wishes to go spend the money and risk trying it themselves or they're more worried about messing everything up.

Worry not....

I have a spare dedicated server to which I'm willing to let people borrow from a limited time. Each time it changes hands, I will format it and start the next person off fresh. The password will also change of course.

The maximum time you can use the server is for 1 day, but if you finish sooner, please let me know so I can wipe it clean and pass it to the next individual. Also let me know which OS you wish installed (CentOS 6 or Debian 7).

People will be assigned in the order of their request.

Last edited:
I have a dedicated server and monkeying around with it is a very intimidating and unpleasant experience for me.. But when i do go tinkering around out of necessity and i get it right i have no problems giving myself a big ole pat on the back....

I have a dedicated server and monkeying around with it is a very intimidating and unpleasant experience for me.. But when i do go tinkering around out of necessity and i get it right i have no problems giving myself a big ole pat on the back....
I have had my fair share of playing with a server or even running on locally. Not everyone has the opportunity, so I figured it would be nice to give others a chance.

After all, it's paid up for the month and I currently am not using it, so it's money wasted just sitting there. :P

That is quite nice of you. I learned a lot playing with my linux machine. Doing that will make you a geek in no time!
Hey, I'm setting up another VPS... will you configure my MTA, OpenDKIM (for 5 domains), the associated RDNS and SPF entries, my CSF, nginx/php5-fpm (and I need SDPY also for the SSL - and the certs installed) and monitoring services for me? :p

Top Bottom