ForumCon 2014

The last speaker also mentioned the high number of new members that post once and never post again and what can be done about this. He explained that it vital to reply ASAP like within the first 15 minutes and then the new member will very likely become a active member.
I run a small forum and I think this is really important if you want your community to stay active. Also connecting members with same interests.

But I'm always in dilema as administrator of forum is it ok to answer very fast to every question? I'm thinking of that because I want users to discuss with each other. Sometimes I get a feeling that if I respond as administrator, others won't.

Last edited:
I run a small forum and I think this is really important if you want your community to stay active. Also connecting members with same interests.

But I'm always in dilema as administrator of forum is it's ok answer very fast to every question? I'm thinking of that because I want users to discuss with each other. Sometimes I get a feeling that if I respond as administrator, others won't.
That's simple...only use your admin account for admin things...create a personal account where you can be you and walk the grounds the same as your community with nobody the wiser.

That's simple...only use your admin account for admin things...create a personal account where you can be you and walk the grounds the same as your community with nobody the wiser.
I thought of that too, but now I already have lots of posts as admin. But yes, I can create a few users that I manage and login differently, but I don't want to do that. I just think of how users look on admin replies. Well, even I don't know how I look on it on other forums :)

But I'm always in dilema as administrator of forum is it's ok answer very fast to every question? I'm thinking of that because I want users to discuss with each other. Sometimes I get a feeling that if I respond as administrator, others won't.

This a real dilemma. I think you're correct, you do have to throttle your replies and give an opportunity for your members to reply.

This a real dilemma. I think you're correct, you do have to throttle your replies and give an opportunity for your members to reply.
I do it like this: if it's a question about forum usage then I answer fast, otherwise I wait day or two, then respond if I can.

otherwise I wait day or two, then respond if I can.

A day or two is too long. If a member makes a first post, it's very important to make a sure a reply is made within the hour, or else there's a good chance they will never make a post again. But to your point, it might be best to not reply minutes after the first post is made every time, giving a chance for others to reply, but this assumes a fairly active forum.

A day or two is too long. If a member makes a first post, it's very important to make a sure a reply is made within the hour, or else there's a good chance they will never make a post again. But to your point, it might be best to not reply minutes after the first post is made every time, giving a chance for others to reply, but this assumes a fairly active forum.
Agree with that. Forum really has to be fairly active. Sometimes it's hard to find ideal time to reply. Well, I hope I'm doing ok on my forum :)

Ok, sorry for pointing out of the theme.

I left at 3:30pm because traffic would have been really bad if I left at 5:00pm.
You left for a bad reason. It wasn't the case that night. In fact, I had someone to help me get to Caltrain station and we got there only 10 minutes at best. I asked for a ride because the ferry/train/bus network is confusing as hell. At night, San Francisco can be a bit scary to walk around alone. The only time it's "okay" to walk alone is those busy intersections and busy roads - the downtown SF area, mostly. Everywhere else? Have someone take you. Have someone take you. Have someone take you. I cannot stress this enough.

I'm sorry I haven't posted images, or videos - but until I have Creative Cloud subscription back to active, I won't be posting them. Quality is very important to me.

Top Bottom