Not a bug Forum Statistics with wrong numbers

twollert

Affected version
2.2.10 Patch 1
On our site some forums are public and others are only visible for the staff. But the Forum Statistics widget adds the number of threads and messages altogether - public and non-public! So everybody can see how many hidden threads and messages there are.

I think there should be a "Count threads/messages posted in this forum in Forum Statistics" in the settings at least (like the "Count messages posted in this forum toward user total").

The OP does make a fair point though, perhaps the count should be specific to the user and the user's permissions where access to nodes is concerned, ie count the totals for the nodes they have access to?

These are the global statistics of the forum, I don't see the point of making them variable according to the permissions. Otherwise don't display them at all. It is really a very specific case to want to hide even the number of messages not accessible to members, for what purpose exactly? I'm curious... 🤷‍♂️
And then in general the number of discussions / messages of the Staff forum represents only a tiny part of the rest of the forum.

Really, having those numbers there doesn't give away a lot of information unless someone is being really anal or has OCD and collects stats on what they can see to compare. By itself, saying you have x thousand messages on the site doesn't actually tell anyone how many of those are visible to them. I can how refining the number using perms might benefit some but I do not see a huge problem here. More a suggestion than a bug since the counter is likely behaving as designed.

You may not see the point but obviously the OP does otherwise he wouldn't have asked the question
Obviously he's asking the question because there's an interest but it seems like a special use case and definitely not a bug. An add-on should also be able to handle this.

These are the global statistics of the forum, I don't see the point of making them variable according to the permissions. Otherwise don't display them at all. It is really a very specific case to want to hide even the number of messages not accessible to members, for what purpose exactly? I'm curious... 🤷‍♂️
And then in general the number of discussions / messages of the Staff forum represents only a tiny part of the rest of the forum.
annoying xenforo user for the first time I gave you the right. You are right. 😂

Top Bottom