Forum opt-out

Akimbo

Our board has just under 500 forums. They range from forums for wannabe divers to the most advanced. The problem is that the New Posts views are clogged with posts with that some members only understand every third word and others are way too basic. User interface-wise, it could be a checkbox at the top of admin-configured forums. Here is a mock-up image.

1635352767661.webp

A user forum opt-out option would only hide posts in views like New Posts, but not from the site forum list view. That would be the interface that would let them uncheck the opt-out option for a forum as their interests change.

It should be configurable in admin because certain nodes should not allow opting out — Site news, Site Support, and Frequently Asked Questions for example. There are way too many combinations for joinable groups to meet the objective.

Upvote 9
You can check out this addon, if you need something like this right now:

a version of this is possible through usergroups but would only work if you pre-define groups. users would then be able to opt-in for specific experience level perhaps and get access to related forums. not exactly what you are looking for but is an option that does work out of the box on xenforo with some work.

User groups and options in Preferences limit access to some of our professional and non-diving forums now but that is a small percentage of our ~500 forums. We could really use more granularity than is practical to configure in Preferences.

For example, most members in Europe have no interest in our high volume of posts in dozens of forums on local diving in the US and Mexico. Our New Posts views rarely represents more than a month of posts and sometimes only a week. It is pretty tedious to do a search when more than a few non-contiguous forums are involved.

XenForo does have a follow forum feature but from my understanding, it does not create a feed for it. A feed for followed forum would probably be a nice functionality to have. Folks can just follow the forums they are interested in and bookmark the link to its feed.

XenForo does have a follow forum feature but from my understanding, it does not create a feed for it. A feed for followed forum would probably be a nice functionality to have. Folks can just follow the forums they are interested in and bookmark the link to its feed.
We do have the ability to "Watch" a forum, and can see our watched forums here:

1637980856851.webp

...but no, I don't see a way to view only new posts or threads within the watched forums list. That would be a useful addition for a board that has a lot of forums. I'm thinking a new line in these options:

1637980966716.webp

...such as, "New posts in watched forums".

One of the most popular suggestions is to ignore or filter forums:

One of the most popular suggestions is to ignore or filter forums:
I find that ignoring forums is good if I have a smaller number of forums to ignore.

On some boards, though, I might be only interested in maybe two or three out of dozens--that is where we could use something that works in the opposite method--choosing only a few forums to view out of many.

While it doesn't help with What's New, XF themes with collapsible categories are very helpful in reducing clutter. (I tend to never use What's New, preferring to browse each forum individually.)

Top Bottom