XF 2.1 Forum icon rework

Joe Kuhn

I'm in Figma and I've got this worked out to replace the standard Forum icons

1583211008169.png

I got the balloon CSV from https://iconify.design/icon-sets/?query=bubbles. The trick was, when I pasted the bubbles into my Frame, they didn't appear at all. Turns out the Width and Height were set to zeros. Made them both 300 so I could see the bubbles and move them around. Then I added a bit of the default font for C#, Tahoma, in a text object and slid it over to the back bubble.

Next I need to get this FoxPro png into that first bubble:

Tried converting the png to CSV and got a black and white version with some other garbage.

Next I tried, in Figma, to do a File/PlaceImage referencing the png file via the url. The image filled the box containing the first bubble rather than filling the bubble. I could not find a way to shrink the Fox image.

1583212904652.png

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Here is a rough idea. I'm sure there are better ways to implement it. Calling all creative ppl to this thread!

mG7Dy7k.png
Hey, how'd you get that same Fox icon? Ha!

It really should be an arrow pointing up because the C# development environment is awesome and the FoxPro one is old and out of date, that's for sure.

But first I tried flipping the colors, enlarging to 48 pixels and adding inner shadow. It's looking pretty good except for the margins of the forum titles.

1583594687200.png

My signature has the link:

Last edited:
Played around with the fox, arrows and "C#". The arrows don't look like much at this size:

1583613600239.png

Here's a fair comparison at their normal size:

1583613932288.png

Also watched the video in the thread on how to change just about anything and everything:

Then I discovered I need to change the width of the icon to 56 px from 46 rather than change the left margin of the Title. That gives me the space I'm after at the red circle. This was in node_list.less where I've been working. Done.

1583613261155.png

Last edited:
Learned that the CSS width can be set to a number wider than the actual icon width to create some space. I was thinking I'd have to move the title on the right over by changing it's left margin. Not so, particularly in the mobile version where there is more than one item up against the icon. Better to change the icon width to get the space for anything that ends up bordering it.

Last edited:
Laptop final version:

1583626635419.png

I don't mind giving up some horizontal white space for clearer icons. The whole page fits on my laptop screen with a little bit of scrolling. Mobil version is functional with one thumb scroll.

1583627281298.png

After one thumb scroll:

1583627590089.png

And credit given to original icon author.

Last edited:
Also found this nice outline icon on-line as a png file. There are so many possibilities.

Attachments

• FoxOutline.webp
    FoxOutline.webp
    5.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Top Bottom